Hidden

I stared at August as he stared out of the windows. There are no emotions In him at all. Before driving out of the parking lot I looked up at him seriously.

"Tell Me what's wrong?" August stared at me for a moment and shook his head. I'm trying to help and he doesn't want to explain to me the problem. I grabbed his hand and held it as we drove back to my house with Chris. He didn't pull away once.

It wasn't long before we reached My house and August walked I'm quietly behind me. For a moment I caught him staring at my rock of an engagement ring. His eyes filled with pure hate and resentment. I Still do worry alot about him. He hates Chris as a whole because of everything.

August stared at me nervously. "Why-y, um I am sooo sorry. I didn't mean for Cam to get scared of me. I didn't mean any of it. I promise I'll just leave you guys alone and all of that. Chris, I'm sorry he's in jail right now. I'm sorry, i-uh he's right...."

August stopped for a moment and wiped his glossy eyes. "Chris was right. I'm not a good father. I'm not....I drink, I smoke, I leave him home alone, I let my mom have him most of the time, I'm not a good father. He should believe Chris is his dad. He's right, he has been the whole time."

Hurt and guilt filled my heart hearing August speak his mind. He believed he wasn't a good father to Cameron but we both knew he tries hard.

"He's right I'm too fuckimg blinded by something I know I won't have. Chanel, i-i can't be his father if I'm not good at it. Chris is right for him." he nodded as if it was to convince himself.

"I'm going to give up my custody amnd I'm handing it to Chris..." he sighed deeply and wiped his tears. August continued, "I knew this was going to happen soon anyway, "he chuckled sadly.

"It was only a matter of time before Chris took my son in. I mean come on, he took you. Guess what's funny?" he laughed, "he knew my probelma and he knew you were there and he knew you helped and he knew I probably would go crazy without you And look what the fuck happened.,,,. Everything went his way. God dammit. Im Soooo fuckimg stupid for listening to Michael. So dumb man, so dumb. I shouldn't have listened to him when he said to just take a risk, that.., you only fall in love once."

August held up one finger and stared into my eyes. "Once....." I heard him whisper to himself.

"And that one risk led me here. Where I'd have a son by the woman I love but there would be no happy ending. The fact that I'd lose the both of them To someone who was supposed to be my best friend. This is why I told Michael..... I don't take risks, they lead me to bad places." he sighed and rubbed his hands together while wiping his tears.

August stood up and he looked at me. He let his eyes travel all over my body and face before looking at his hands. He stepped closer and held me in his arms. I felt him hold me close as if it'd be the last time. I slowly raised my arms ands held him too. He pulled away slowly with glossy eyes.

"Soooo, Im going to take a short cut and I'm going to help myself put the right way. Im Going to go back to New Orleans. It's been a long while. ......Home." He nodded and smiled a little.

"Somewhere where I'd be understood. Somewhere in the game of the streets and hood love where I grew up. I won't have all of this on my back anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love my son but he's mentally not mine anymore. Because 'Daddy' is Chris now, huh? Maybe I can get used to New Orleans again where we know every bitch there is a hoe that we can just fuck and duck. Because in the game there is no love. There's just baby mama's and Daddy's. Damn all this reminiscing make a nigga wanna go back now. So I'm going to let you know now. Don't contact me unless its about Cam. Don't even think of me, I'm begging you because if I break my heart any further I don't know what I'm gonna do with beokwn pieces. I'm still going to follow my dream And work hard but..... I won't have..."

He stopped and stared at the floor blankly. "I'm just gonna head out now, thank you Ne- ....Chanel for your help." When he didn't use my nick name a piece of me just broke inside.

"Please August, don't go. We all need you here okay? And, I don't really know what to say but Cam knows you're his father okay? We all know the things we do are wrong and we can still have a Happy ending." I cried and grabbed his hand but he snatched it away.

"My Happy Ending would be with the woman I lobe and the children we made together with no drama and no niggas I can't trust. But we can see all of that ain't gonna happen any time soon now?" He chuckled and pulled away.

August almost went through the door but he stopped when Cameron called out for him, "Daddy don't go..."

His foot caught through the door and he slowly eased back in sighing. "Little man, I have lots of things going on and right now is just not a good time for me to be here." He bent down to Cam' s level and talked to him.

"But Daddy I don't want you to leave me. I only call Daddy Chris Daddy when you're not here. I know you're my Daddy. Don't be mad at me please Daddy?"

Cameron's small face looked so desperate and sad. He kept crying hysterically and August just buried his face in his chest. I was so relieved to hear him talk to Cam. But shock filled my face when he asked him the most unexpected question ever.

"Cameron I still have to go so you answer me this. You hear man? Its either you stay with mommy or you coming with me. Choose wisely little man." he kissed Cameron's forehead and looked at me daring me to say something.

I didn't know what to do or what to say hearing him ask Cameron this. How is he supposed to choose between his mother and father. Cameron looked at me nervously and looked up at his daddy.

"Daddy why can't you and Mommy just be together for me?" My eyes widened at the same time as August's.

"We have problems you're to young to understand now Cam I need you to choose by the end of this week. I'll see you tomorrow little man."

August kissed Cameron's cheek and brushed past me. "I love you Cam"

My heart sank in my chest. He was going to leave anyway.