44. αѕѕιмιℓαтισи

~Things are confusing, so difficult and I'm unsure... What have I become?~

A S H T O N

Damien left a little while after Puzzle came out, saying that he had to go to sleep for school in the morning. I'd completely forgotten about Damien having to get up extra early in the mornings for school because I didn't have to do it myself anymore. It had sucked a lot when I went to public school, but because I'm in online school, my classes don't start until eight thirty or nine, depending on what classes I have. It was so great to not have to worry about getting up in the morning. Of course, I usually do anyway to get ready, but I don't have to worry if I wake up at seven instead of six. I just have to wait until lunch to get dressed. 

I was pretty lonely in school, though. It was boring to sit there alone.

I was halfway curious about if Puzzle was going to be going to online school. That'd be really cool, because then I could have fun, and learn. I wouldn't have to be alone, but I could still get caught up. It seemed perfect, but if Blake didn't want to put him in online school, it'd be okay. 

I sighed deeply and glanced up at the sky. "I'm hungry as hell." Puzzle mused, a sleepy look in his eye. I raised my eyebrow and shrugged. 

"I think there's chips in the kitchen?" I asked, and he nodded.

"I really want some ice cream." He said, and I shrugged.

"There may be some in there. Just gotta look." I said, and he nodded again. He was looking rather tired, but happy at the same time. 

"I'll be back." He said, standing up and walking to the kitchen. I watched him dig through the freezer and he smiled and grabbed something out, then disappeared around the fridge for a moment. Then he walked back out to the deck, shutting the door firmly behind him. "Got ice cream." He said, and I nodded. He sat down, the whole bucket in his lap and dug in with a spoon. "Would you like some?" He asked. I shook my head no. 

"I'm okay," I murmured, watching the stars. "So what school are you going to?" I asked.

"I'm not in school anymore, I dropped out." He said, and I nodded.

"Okay," I said, unsure of what to say. Do I apologize and ask why? Or do I just let it go, and not say anything? I wasn't sure what the correct thing to say would be. It was a difficult thing to talk about, just because my parents had ingrained in me since I was young. I had never thought about leaving school, or anything like that. It was really hard to think about leaving. 

"I left school to take care of my mom." He said, and shrugged. "It was worth it, you know?" He said, and I nodded. 

"I can understand it," I said, and he nodded.

"It's complicated, I'm sure you understand. You seem rather complicated, too." He said, and I raised my eyebrow.

"How so?" I asked. I was beginning to feel anxious. I was getting a little cool, as well. 

"Just are," He said, looking over me. His gaze was searching, as if he was picking me apart piece by piece. I was anxious under his glance, and he didn't seem to stop looking at me for a while, but once he did, I was glad. Somehow, I felt like he could almost read my mind and that was terrifying. I glanced down at the clock on my phone and saw it was midnight. 

"Alright, well I've got school tomorrow I should probably sleep some." I said, standing up and going inside. I hurried up the stairs, and shut the bedroom door behind me. I went over the the beside table and took two of the pills and grabbed the glass of water on my beside table. I kept it there in the daytime so that I could easily and inconspicuously take the pills without raising suspicion about running down to the kitchen often.