Chapter 1: Bad News

(Veronica's P.O.V)
BEEP!!!! BEEP!!!! BEEP!!!!
I finally woke up to my iPhone 5 as my alarm. I sat up and unlocked my phone and turned the alarm off. I got up and went to my sisters room to make sure she is awake. I have a big sister Ashlie and a little brother Liam. My mom died giving birth to my little brother who's six now. We are living with our grandma who we call Nana. I feel like i'm the adult. I wake everyone up, make breakfast, and clean everything basically. I mean my 17 year old sister helps. "Ashlie are you up?" i ask knocking on her door. "Aren't I always?" she replies opening her door with a towel around her head. "Your up to an early start. Why?" i ask. Our school starts at 9 ( we are both in high school) and Liam's school starts at 8. His school is around the corner, so that's good. Ashlie usually fixes her hair or is on her iPhone 5 while i'm gone. Ashlie and I both have jobs. Ashlie helps out at a No Kill Center and I work at our local Movie Theater and volunteer at the No Kill center. Ashlie gets paid, I volunteer at the No Kill Center, so I don't get paid. But we still make good money. Enough for us to get good phones and to get supplies for Liam and us for school. "Hailey and I are going to the nail salon. Remember? I told you last night." she says brushing her hair. "Oh, yeah! Hey after school Nana has to go to the Dr. because of her breathing problems. Can you and Hailey pick her up and take her I have to get Liam and he has a birthday party to go to tonight? And I said I would take him." i asked begging. "Yeah, what time is it?" she asks. Hailey is her best friend. Ashlie has her drivers license just no car.
I go across the hall to wake Liam up. I open the door slowly and he is sleeping his the race car bed. "Liam, it's time to wake up. Andrew's birthday party is today. Wake up." I say soothingly sitting on my knees on the floor rubbing his back. This usually wakes him up. "Liam, i'm fixing French toast." i say. He opens his eyes and says "Where's my toast?" I laugh and pick him up he lays his head on my shoulder while i get his uniform. "Get dressed i'm going to check on Nana okay?" i ask. He can get dressed and everything by himeself. He's listens really well.

I walk into the dining room downstairs we made into a room for Nana. I walk over to her. "Nana, are you hungry?" i asked she hasn't ate for two days. I'm worried she hasn't ate or got up in two days. She's been having shortness of breath and shes been weak and just tired all the time. She just sighs. I decided to just let her sleep and get ready. I go up to Liam's room and he's dressed almost. I see him struggle to put his shirt on so i walk over to him and pick him up and sit on a stool. He's sitting on my lap facing me and i unbutton his shirt and put his red polo over his head. I button the 3 buttons back up. "Better?" i ask smiling at him. "Yes, thank you sissy." he says hugging me. Liam and I are like best friends. I love him and he adores me. "Knock Knock I'm here." i here Kirsty say from downstairs. Kirsty is my absolute best friend. She lives next door and we have been friends for 8 years. "Who's that?" i ask Liam tickling him. He starts laughing and jumps off my legs to go downstairs to hug Kirsty. Liam "loves" Kirsty that's what he says.

I run downstairs Kirsty helps Liam crack two eggs and put them in a bowl to mix. I spray a pan and get 4 pieces of bread. I put the bread in the eggs and put them on the pan and sprinkle some cinnamon on them. I flip them till they're done. I get them out and Kirsty gets three plates. I put one on Liam's plate and cut it up and put some syrup on it and hand it to him. He eats it up. I put two on a plate for Kirsty and hand it to her and she puts syrup on it. I get three glasses out and pour apple juice in all. I give one to Liam and one to Kirsty. I drink one and look at Liam who put his fork down to get a drink. I pick his fork up and eat a little piece. "Hey!" Liam says looking at me. "Here." i say giving him the other one i fix in case someone wants another if not I eat it. I cut it up and give him his plate back. "Kirsty can you watch him I have to get ready?" i ask even though she always says yes. "Duh, he's the cutest little boy ever!" she says tickling him. I walk up stairs and take my black shorts and yellow "Rachel's Gymnastics Club" T-shirt. I did gymnastics last year but had to quit because i had no time for it. With having a then five year old brother, school, and two jobs. I get dressed in my skinny jeans and white bra and undershirt and put a see through blue high - low shirt on. I put my hair in a messy bun. I run back downstairs noticing it's 7:45. It takes 10 minutes to get to Liam's school. I put Liam's coat on and we all walk outside and walk to his school. We take a short cut and cut through Kirsty's yard which saves us from going around the block. When we get back we sit on the couch for 10 minutes and get up.

Kirsty and I are walking out of the house when she asks me something. "Where's Ashlie?" i laugh. "You just noticed she wasn't here? She and Hailey went to get their nails done." i said she laughs. I put the dishes in the sink and rinse them. I put the dishes in the dishwasher and Kirsty and I head out to go buy some coffee. We wait outside for Nathan our best friend who's a year older than us. "Where to girls? Your usual?" he asks. This is what we do every morning. We go to "Starbucks" and get coffee and go to school."
--------------------------------------
------(Three Hours Later)----- I get a call during lunch and it's my neighbor, Kirsty's mom. Kirsty looks at my phone. "Why is my mom calling you?" She asks. "I don't know." i say getting up and going to the quiet bathroom so i can hear Miss. Masters. Kirsty follows me and i answer.
"Hello, Miss. Masters?"
"Veronica, it's your ... your grandmother." she says in between sobs.
"What? What's wrong?" i ask scared.
"She's ... she's ... d-dead"she cries.
"What do you mean?" i ask starting to feeling like i'm about to have an asthma attack. "I was walking my dog, Harley and i heard a crash and i ran in and she was on the floor in the kirchen. There was glass on the floor." she says slowly. "The medic's said it was a heart attack and she dropped a glass when it happened."
"Okay. I- I'm coming" i said crying.
I ran out putting my phone in my pocket.
"Veronica!!" I heard Kirsty yell and i looked back to see her running after me. I ran up the stairs to my locker and Kirsty caught up to me. I opened my locker grabbed my book bag and purse. Kirsty caught up to me and i was still grabbing my things when she said "What? What happened?" "My grandma!" i said and she gasped she grabbed her things out of her locker which was beside mine because our last names start with M. We ran to my house.
"NO!!" i said crying.