09. High Council

Alina

Alina watched from her terrace as more lords mounting their Pegasi arrived at the castle gates. With Grytia's fall and Lord Frederik coming to the North for help, Bernard had called for High Council, inviting all the Northern Lords from all over Nordenland.

The Pegasi continued to enter through the gates, where winged guards led them to the stable. That was when Alina spotted Julian in the distance, standing outside the stable door and guiding the Pegasi inside. Her chest tightened and she turned away from the terrace at once.

She was still suffering from guilt and shame for what she had caused Julian to go through. The unsettling image of his body tied up to the whipping post and his skin ripped open by the savage whip still haunted her. She had attempted to watch his punishment from her terrace that day, but only long enough to see the whip slice his back a few times, before she hurried back inside her room, unable to stand the torture. And it was all her fault...

Alina looked up as she heard someone entering her room, pulling her away from the disturbing memories. She found Kaya walking through her door, smiling sweetly and carrying a black bundle in her arms.

"Morning Alina!" Kaya beamed, hiding no malice like the other day when she found Alina walking with Mikal in the courtyard.

It was curious. Kaya was completely as sweet and friendly as Alina had always known her, which had Alina wondering if Kaya had been mean to her that day in the first place. She might have been imagining things after all, being so filled with jealousy, that she had mistaken Kaya's genuine concern for something else. And it made her feel all the worse, for thinking ill of her best friend.

"I've got something for you," Kaya said excitedly, offering Alina the large black bundle she was holding in her arms.

With a curious frown, Alina carefully unfolded the large heap of black velvet and tulle, and her eyes widened as they fell on the most beautiful dress she had ever seen. A bare shouldered, tight fitting, black velvet beauty, draped with a full length, open front, tulle skirt. Alina knew that particular dress, which was one of Kaya's best.

"I thought the Lady of Nordenvania should look remarkable on such an important day." Kaya winked.

"Wait... you want me to wear this? Today?" Alina turned to Kaya with a horrified expression. "No way!"

"Why not?" Kaya pouted. "I am sure it will look great on you."

"But I can't! I mean, would that even be appropriate? Isn't it... frowned upon women who wear black?"

"Where did you hear such nonsense?" Kaya laughed. "I wear black all the time. So do all my friends! Have you seen anyone frowning upon us?"

Kaya was right. Most of the young girls in the castle wore black dresses. While Alina admired the color on everyone she saw, she never had the courage to try wearing it herself. Alina thought that perhaps it was time for her to adopt the trend as well. And perhaps I would be able to impress Mikal.

"Come on, what are you waiting for?" Kaya urged.

Alina, though quite hesitant at first, finally yielded. After all she had often daydreamed of wearing beautiful dresses in the deepest shade of black, which seemed to be Mikal's favorite color.

Kaya laughed as she struggled to fit Alina into the dress. Alina, although younger, was a little curvier than Kaya, and while the dress fit Kaya a bit loosely, it fit Alina too tightly, the soft velvet explicitly tracing her curves, and the tight seams below the chest pushing up her moderate breasts into full roundness.

"It looks perfect!" Kaya smiled in awe as they both stood before the mirror. "It even looks better on you than it does on me."

"Really?" Alina asked shyly as she admired her reflection in the mirror, smoothing the soft velvet that hugged her hips, and toying with the cascading tulle that framed her legs on either side. Indeed the dress looked more tempting on her than it did on Kaya. Perhaps if Mikal saw me now he'd choose me over Kaya...