28. Forbidden Love

Alina

Bernard and Mikal had just returned from the East. Alina watched from her terrace as they flew their Pegasi through the high castle gates, accompanied by Vilfred, Lord Frederik and their guardsmen. When they approached the glass domed stable, she frowned in concern as she realized that Hilda was nowhere to be seen. She was still wondering where she could be, when she found Julian hurrying out of the stable, and her heart fluttered.

She could see Bernard say something to Julian as he dismounted his large black Pegasus, and without warning, Bernard's palm fell against Julian's face with a sudden smack. Her heart sank. Why? Julian had not even spoken a word. Why did Bernard hit him out of nowhere? She watched bitterly as Julian stood still with his head lowered, waiting until Bernard and his men had all dismounted their Pegasi and left. When everyone was gone, Julian simply raised his hand to touch his assaulted cheek, before he quietly turned to take the Pegasi inside the stable.

Not wishing to meet a similar fate when Bernard arrived at her room, Alina quickly hurried down to greet him in the great hall.

When Alina reached the hall entrance, she found Lucian standing nearby, a few steps away from her. He turned and flashed her a big smile. She rolled her eyes. That boy really never got tired. She sighed and gave him a small nod of recognition, and she could swear she saw his smile growing even wider. She turned her face away, holding back an amused smile herself.

Bernard had already spotted her and Lucian at the entrance, his ice blue eyes silently ordering them to come forward. Alina walked towards Bernard and his men, forcing a smile as she curtsied before them. Lord Frederik smiled at her kindly, and Vilfred kissed her hand. But when she found herself standing before Mikal, her smiled faltered as their eyes met and she quickly looked away.

"Alina!" Bernard growled. "Where have your wing chains gone?"

Her heart sank at once. She had hoped that Bernard would not notice her missing chains too soon, and she had made sure to be careful and keep her wings gathered and concealed behind her back, but she realized that in her hurry to avoid meeting Mikal's gaze, she had turned her back and stupidly put her unchained wings on full display for everyone to see. 

"She... she fell down! And the lock broke."

Alina looked up in surprise towards the speaker. It was Lucian. She could only stare at him, her eyes wide with wonder.

"Is that so?" Bernard growled again.

"Y... yes my Lord," Alina said, confirming Lucian's words while her eyes met Bernard's dangerous stare. She shuddered.

"Well, you better not give me a reason to put new ones on you then," Bernard said carelessly before he turned to say something to Lord Frederik. 

Alina let out a long sigh. Apparently, Bernard's mind was busy with more important matters that he did not care for her wings being freed. Alina turned towards Lucian and frowned. She could not believe that he had actually just saved her. He stood there peeking up at her sheepishly with innocent blue eyes. She walked up to him. He stiffened and took a little step backwards.

"I'm sorry!" he said at once.

"Why did you do that?" she asked.

"I'm really sorry! I just found myself speaking. I didn't mean to – "

"Thank you." Alina cut him off.

"W...What?"

"Thank you for saving me."

"Oh...but...that was nothing, really," Lucian blushed. "So, you're not mad at me?"

"Of course I'm not," Alina smiled gently. "You know? You are very intriguing, Lucian. I have only ever been unkind to you, and yet you still helped me."