15. An Unbeatable Rival

Mikal

Distant thuds and grunts came from the other end of the corridor. Mikal frowned as he followed the sounds, until he saw two figures fighting in the distance.

"Hans, stop!" Lucian cried as Hans straddled him, pinning him to the floor. He groaned, shoving Hans off before he turned to punch him. Hans giggled as he pushed Lucian back and slammed him against the wall.

"Mikal!" Lucian called as he noticed Mikal approaching them, and Hans quickly released Lucian. "Hans was attacking me," Lucian ran at Mikal for protection.

"We are just playing," Hans defended.

"Why are you two not in the training field?" was all Mikal.

"And who will train us when you just woke up?" Hans rolled his eyes.

"Hans!" Lucian gasped at Hans's shameless sarcasm.

"Where is Vilfred?" Mikal asked, his eyes narrowed at Hans.

"Vilfred is attending council," Hans said.

"They have started council a while ago," Lucian said, a bit hesitantly. "I assumed you were there too, that was why we didn't think you or Vilfred would train us today –"

Mikal hurried away before Lucian finished speaking, scowling as he headed to the council room. What council? They had never started council without him.

Mikal shook in fury as he stood before the council room, realizing that indeed council was being held and that everyone was already present. He clenched his fists and he wore his calm indifferent face as he entered the room. But to his utmost shock, he found that in his place next to Bernard, Hilda was sitting confidently.

"Oh, here comes our sleeping beauty! Did you sleep well princess?" Hilda mocked at his late entrance.

"What is the meaning of this?" Mikal turned to Bernard, ignoring Hilda's words.

"I have appointed Hilda as my prime advisor. You may seat yourself next to Vilfred."

Mikal did all he could to contain his rage. He stood for a long moment in silence, his face a cold expressionless mask. He could notice the troubled looks on the faces before him. But no matter what was said or done, Mikal knew well enough that he was still the most powerful man in this room.

"What kind of Lord appoints a woman as his prime advisor?" Mikal asked with a cold smile. "Do you want to become the joke of Engeldom?" 

"Why would I ever become a joke? The only joke will be you when everyone learns that you gave up your place for a woman," Bernard replied coldly and Mikal narrowed his eyes. "What? Wasn't it you who offered her your place last time?" Bernard continued. "If I remember correctly, you told me I will find her advice more valuable than yours. Well, I found out you were right." 

"True my lord. In that case then, allow me to congratulate you, Lady Hilda," Mikal smiled at Hilda before he walked with unfaltering confidence to his new seat next to Vilfred. "It is a very tough position to hold. Let's see how long you can keep it."

"Thank you Sir Mikal. I am sure I will keep my position much longer than you did." 

"Don't worry," Vilfred whispered as he leaned in very close to Mikal, "we will find a solution for this." 

"Sir Vilfred, it would be a great pleasure if you share with all of us what you have to say," Hilda smiled. "I don't like secrets in my council."

"Your council?" Vilfred chuckled.