17. The Whore

Alina

The morning sun was hiding behind white clouds, and late summer winds blew against the grey castle walls. Alina watched from her terrace as Kaya stood crying and hugging her father Sir Maarten down in the courtyard. Dressed in a dark travelling cloak with a sky carriage waiting behind her, Kaya was finally leaving the castle. 

Alina smiled. For the first time since she had come to this dreadful place, she was finally feeling a sense of justice. And for the first time, she felt that Mikal really cared for her. He had promised that he would make Kaya pay for what she had done to her. And here, he had kicked Kaya out. 

Alina watched as Kaya gathered her black skirts and got inside her carriage. And next her Pegasus leapt to the sky, pulling behind the small carriage that went floating above as its domed sails caught the wind. Alina continued to watch with glee until Kaya's carriage finally disappeared beyond the high castle gates. She closed her eyes and inhaled the fresh morning air, her smile growing wider. This is going to be a beautiful day... 

She was just about to turn away from the terrace wall and go find Hilda, when she noticed two strange figures down in the courtyard. A winged man and a wingless woman whom she had never seen before, approaching the keep. 

***

Juha the slaver, a curious looking winged man with olive skin and pitch black curls, stood smiling smugly in the middle of the guest hall. He was dressed in a sky blue silk tunic that was heavily embroidered with gold florals. His fingers were covered in multiple rings of gold and silver and various stones, and a thick gold necklace with a large ruby pendant hung down from his neck. No doubt his business in the slave market was quite prosperous, as he stood proudly displaying his good fortune through the blinding disarray of mismatching clothes and accessories. He was apparently quite pleased with himself, not only because of his extravagant wardrobe, but because he made Alina, Hilda, and the old Lady Greta stand staring wide eyed at the exceptionally beautiful girl he had brought with him today.

"She is not suitable at all!" Lady Greta, Bernard's own aunt, snapped at him. "Look at her. She looks like a trashy prostitute."

Alina frowned. Lady Greta was right, yet Alina was hoping the girl would not be turned away. She was so, very, beautiful! She had a delicate small form, curtained by deep red hair that fell to her tiny waist, and full large breasts almost spilling out from the low cut opening of her tight black dress. And along with her sweet face and the translucent paleness of her skin, she looked as soft and fragile as a porcelain doll. Alina noticed that she was not the only one staring at her with awe. Hilda too was completely absorbed, leering at her breasts.

"Mikal dear, please join us!" Greta called in frustration. And Alina turned in alarm at the mention of Mikal, where she found him standing at the hall entrance behind them. "Look what Juha dared bring to our castle."

Alina's heart thumped as Mikal approached them, yet she couldn't help but feel a little jealous when she noticed how he, who never displayed any form of expression around strangers, raised his eyebrows in admiration as his eyes fell on the sultry young woman who stood meekly next to Juha.

"Sir Mikal!" Juha greeted with a wide grin that revealed a gold tooth at the corner of his mouth. "It is such an honor to meet you in person. Lady Greta here was trying to send me away," Juha pouted sulkily. "But I am glad you have come yourself. I am quite sure you will be able to appreciate the true value of the extraordinary subject I have –"

"Bring her close," Mikal cut him off.

Alina could tell that even Mikal was unable to keep his eyes off the young woman. He raised his hand to feel her long hair, before he gently touched her cheeks, carefully inspecting her face that was adorned by beautiful hazel eyes and small pouting lips.