18

I couldn't entertain Danitha's thoughts anymore. She was either pure crazy or she wasn't making the correct mental connections. Either way, that's what she was here for and I was supposed to be helping her. Maybe it would be better off if D and I switched patients. I smiled to myself. Yea, it would be.

I had stayed overtime to evaluate Danitha's profile and medication status at my job. The hallway lights were on and the outside world was dark and gloomy from here. Even my boss had already left, sneaking a tuna sandwich from the kitchen when he thought no one was looking. Ah, the infamous food bandit. I had always wondered who it was since a young child.

But this doctor was not here when I was.

Or was he?

I froze in my office chair as thunder pounded on the flat land behind our institution.

I searched up my boss and came across three recent photos and then his Wikipedia bio.

Once a female in a mental institution.

My boss and I were around the same age.

I studied the features closer.

The girl on my floor.

I stared at my screen as it went black.

My only friend, besides Didi of course.

I woke up at my desk the next morning. I had no idea how D got home but she was texting me asking me if I was still at work. I stiffly stretched and tamed my morning breath with a burning mint. I locked my office and made my way to the parking lot sluggishly, knowing that I had a good thirty minutes to get ready for work. The woman up front at the desk clocked me in with a sympathetic smile as I left out. Good people were everywhere. Was I one of them?

I called D and told her to fix me something and that I was almost home. I had to wake myself up mentally and get off of auto pilot to drive.

"Damn, ha pussy fat," the song sung to "Twerk" by City Girls remix.

(Idk if they even have a song out like that, I just thought of it)

Once at home I only had twenty minutes left to dress but I remembered I was already clocked in so that gave me some peace of mind. D was already dressed and scrolling through Instagram at famous celebrity houses. I didn't say anything about it because she had made me food, but how the hell did she think she would be able to afford some Star Wars type of mansion with a middle class income?

I showered quickly and wore some black jeans and a white t shirt with the Purge symbol on it, and some black and white Adidas. I was keeping it simple today because after the weekend was here I would be sleeping in all day and I pretty sure D would not disagree with that.

We ate on the road.

I bit into my sandwich as we made it to a red light. A cop eyeballed me and I eyeballed him back. Ain shit wrong with my car, so begone.

I pulled up at our job and D rushed in to clock in, then to come back to the car to eat her breakfast with me. Neither of us were quite ready to go back in.

"So, how are you after everything with Danitha?" I asked once she had taken a few good bites of her own food. She sat her sandwich down on the heavy duty paper plate and wiped her mouth with a napkin. "Well, it was very interesting. She definitely needs help, Laila."

"I can't believe I entertained her for so long," I told my sister. "Well, I'm going to get her the help she needs now- for sure. I'm going to talk to the doctor as soon as I go inside."

"She used to be so full of life. So amazing," D sighed.

"Then she killed Katherine too. I don't believe that they were in a threesome and who the hell is Mia anyways."

"It's not called a threesome of three people are in a relationship," I told her, "but I do believe that Mia and Katherine and Danitha were in a relationship. Let me tell you why."

D leaned back in her seat, listening.

"Okay, Mia was the captain of some weird basketball cult at Firstmost."

D nodded, "Everybody knows about that. They have a lot of influence, just never would have guessed that Danitha would mix with someone like that."

"After I dropped out, I took a few courses there, but shit just went down the drain for me," D added.

"Why did you drop out?" I asked curiously.

"Well, for one. I lied. Mama never knew I had gotten in then our cousin died and shit and well...things just kept getting worse. Depression. Pills. Clubs. Stuff like that."

"Damn," I commented.

"I wonder if Danitha is talking about the same Mia a friend of mien used to date. But that wouldn't add up because my friend has been dating Mia for a long long time and as far as I know, they never broke up. I just know that Emily was sad when Mia kept having to go on vacations with her family and coming back smelling like cheap dick."

I laughed, "I'm sure it wasn't the same one. This Mia just sounds like the player type."