Chapter 15: Who killed her?

Blazewhisker's POV:

As we strode out that dusk, Liontail haunts me with the old question, "Who killed the old Stoneteller?"

I shiver at the thought that she's dead. I never even got the chance to meet her. Liontail said that she's way kinder than Hawk's Claw and I can already see that.

*********************************************

After we came back from hunting, I brought back a shrew while my father has brought back a rabbit. We set in in the pile and went inside the den to sleep. Beside me, was Grayheart and Moonwhisper already asleep, pelts brushing. Then Honeysap decided to sleep beside me and settled down. Liontail fell fast asleep beside us. 

I closed my eyes, hoping everything will get better in the morning. But then I didn't open my eyes in the cave. Instead, I found myself in a dream beside a river. The soft breeze had brought a scent to me, the scent of a cat whom I've never met.

I followed the scent, praying to StarClan that this won't turn out as a nightmare. Then I saw the outline of a pretty white she-cat with shimmering green eyes. When she noticed that I was there, she smiled. "I knew you were coming, Blazewhisker."

"How do you know my name?" I asked. Weird...

"I'm dead, of course I know who you are." She answered. "I was your parents' old Stoneteller,"

"Stoneteller!" The name rang in my head. "It's so good to see you! Do you have any idea of which cat killed you?"

"Maybe, but remember: Dead cats can't always interpret everything. But I can give you a hint." 

"Why can't you just tell me directly?" Why is life so confusing?

"I can't. Cats can't have all the information right in front of their muzzles like that or who knows what will be the effect?"

Or who knows what will be the effect? Stoneteller's tone rang in my ears. Hmph, 'effect'!

"Okay," I agreed. 

"The hint awaits, don't wake yet." She mewed as she faded away.

"No! Don't leave me!" I mewed right before she disappeared. "Great, now what? I can't wake up because my body somehow won't let me."

Then I found myself alone in the dream, all by myself. No StarClan or Tribe. A few heartbeats later I heard the sound of a hawk. The sound was so loud, that I felt like my ears were going to bleed. Then the noise got louder and louder, as my heart beated faster and faster. My claws gripped the Earth but it wasn't enough for the creature's talons. It tried to pick me up, but I noticed that one of it's talons were wrenched which was and easy target. So, I decided to use that for my advantage. 

I flexed my claws and scratched the talon. Blood roared in my ears as the hawk dropped me as it winced. If I died here, would I really be dead? I thought as victory was mine. Then the huge bird rapidly dashed in the sky away from me. Why try to catch me with a wrenched talon?

But something haunts me that this was the hint of who killed Stoneteller. This might be trying to tell me the answer. A hawk with a wrenched talon...

StarClan... No! Hawk's Claw!