Chapter 19: Search

Blazewhisker's POV:

I completely lost it. He overthrew my father! Then I got so angry, that I pushed Hawk's Claw off the cliff. "Serves you right for killing my father!"

Then Grayheart padded up to me. "Blazewhisker, are you alright?"

"No! Let's go down there! I won't believe our father's dead 'til I see his body myself!" I yowled.

"Stay here! We'll come back," Grayheart ordered Dawn Wing and Eagle Fur as they nodded nervously. Then we immediatly left off.

When we got to the base of the mountain where Hawk's Claw had thrown off and where Hawk's Claw threw his brother off, we searched for his body. 

"No sign of him!" My brother's mew sounded worried. 

"Wait! I smell something," I pointed out. It was true. I scented a ting of cat. The scent is cold. "A dead body!" Could it be our father?! No. It can't be! I smell--- Blood?! Is that blood?! Then it can't be him! He was thrown off not killed!

It seemed as if Grayheart was thinking the same thing! "Let's follow it!" He mewed as we tracked the scent. 

Then we found the body, not of a small orange and white tabby tom, but of the muscular big dark tabby tom. His neck was slashed which bled. Not done by a fall, but a cat. "Who do you think did this?" I asked.

Then my brother glanced one more time at Hawk's Claw's body. "I don't know for sure, but is there anything here which can give us a clue?"

I searched the bracken. "Ah-ha!" I mewed. Then I found Grayheart staring at me. "Sorry, got excited."

"What did you find?" Grayheart mewed as he ignored my enthusiasm. He walked towards me. 

"I found a tuft of fur!" I proudly told him. 

Then Grayheart took the tussock and sniffed it. "It belongs to--- Liontail!"

"He's probably not dead after all!" I mewed excitedly.

"But before we jump to conclusions, how are we going to explain this to the others?" My brother asked.

"We don't."

"What?!"

"Let's just lie to them and say he's dead as well as Hawk's Claw. At least half of that is the truth."

"Brilliant!"

"Yeah, I know." Then Grayheart pawed me. "Okay, okay. Sorry," I chuckled.

"C'mon, let's tell the others!" Grayheart responded.

"The truth?!"

"No, silly! The lie!"

"Oh, okay!" 

Then I followed Grayheart back to the rocky clearing full of pride with a tint of guilt in it. What if he is dead?!