Chapter 18: Surprised

Grayheart's POV:

Then Hawk's Claw looked back at the patrol, seemingly nervous. Then he rapidly turned his head back to Liontail. "You... You know?! How?"

Then Liontail pleadingly glanced at Blazewhisker. Then Blazewhisker replied, "I had a dream!"

The Stoneteller swung his head back at my brother. "Pfft! Do I care anymore? No! It's just that she wasn't a very good leader, and I thought I might be better!"

"What are you talking about? She was a great leader!" Liontail mewed as he suddenly and nervously looked down the cliff at the low, low ground. 

Hawk's Claw rapidly looked back at him. "Shut up! You have no right to speak!"

"Of course I do!" Liontail argued as his paws started slipping a bit off the cliff but was trying his best to hold on tighter.

"Stop it!" I yowled at Hawk's Claw. "Let us save him! He's going to slip off!"

"So what?" Hawk's Claw growled. "It's not like it'll be a scene in saving him!"

"You're the one who's causing the scene in the first place!" My father pointed out.

"Please," I begged.

"No! You're all bird-hearts!" Hawk's Claw looked around at the whole patrol. "Liontail never deserved to live! Neither did Icefur! You both shall die!"

"But Icefur's back at ThunderClan camp," Liontail's mew came outinto nothing but a whisper.

Stoneteller seemed to have heard him. "Yes, she may be, brother. But I still have you here, don't I?" He pointed out.

"This proves that you can't be a good leader! You must have a heart for all cats!" The words ran out of my mouth before I can stop them.

Then Hawk's Claw stared at me for a moment. I felt guilt prickle all over my body. What was I thinking? Or was I thinking?

"I think it's time for you to say good-bye!" Stoneteller finally mewed as he placed his paw over Liontail's. 

"No!" Blazewhisker wailed but it didn't seem to help. 

Then Hawk's Claw immediately let go of Liontail as Liontail closed his eyes as he fell.

"Father!" Blazewhisker and I yelled in the exact same time.