Dumb Reasons

After a bit, Sero pulled away and left the room. I heard him start sliding a large object into the room.

"Oh, yea!" Ashido exclaimed, also pulling away. "So we had a feeling you would refuse to come and stay with one of us. So we got you a little something"

Sero bent down and opened the box. A little head poked out almost immediately. He picked the animal up and held it. It was a little all-black kitten, except for one white ear and a white paw. It looked at me with joy-filled blue eyes.

"I-I'm more of a dog person" I stammered in disbelief.

"Oh shut up and take her," Ashido said, taking the kitten from Sero and handing it to me. "Now you have a reason to get out of bed. There are a couple things for her in these bags. I have food and some other stuff in my car. Take her into your bedroom and Sero, Jirou, and I will grab the stuff"

I nodded and took the kitten into my room, setting her down on my bed. I watched her wander around, taking in her new surroundings.

Suddenly, a voice behind me said, "What are you going to name her?" I spun around and a pair of green eyes looked back at me.

"I don't know" I muttered.

Deku walked over and sat on my bed. He reached over and picked up the cat, setting it on his lap to pet. "I'm sorry" he whispered.

"Why?"

Deku hesitated for a moment. "I-." He sighed. "I don't know. Everything I guess. I don't understand what your going through. The only person I've ever lost is my dad and he left when I was really young, so I barely knew him. He's not even dead though, he just works overseas. So I have no idea how to help you. But couldn't I at least have tried? When I noticed you hadn't been coming to the cafe, I knew something was up but did I do anything? No. I went through my day like nothing ever happened. I haven't been there for you. I'm your friend, Kacchan. Friends are supposed to be there for each other. But when I saw you today, it broke my heart. Seeing you like this. Seeing you so miserable and weak. You look awful. You look dead. It makes me feel like crap. I'm such a bad friend. And you're going to die. Because of me! You went and fell in love with me and my dense ass didn't notice until it was too late." He stopped and buried his face into his hands.

I didn't know what to say. Seeing him feel this down was awful. I wanted to comfort him and tell him nothing as his fault. "Deku." I started. "Everything will be ok." I paused, realizing I should tell him about my surgery. Maybe that will make him feel better. "Deku I'm getting surgery. It's going to cure my disease. I won't like you anymore. You'll be able to marry Todoroki without feeling guilty. And I'll just have to find someone else."

"W-what? Kacchan, that sounds awful!"

"It alright. I promise. We can just stay friends and pretend nothing happened, ok?"

He stared at me for a moment before looking away, nodding. That's when Jirou, Ashido, and Sero came in with a cat bed, toys, a collar, bowls, litter boxes, a scratch post, and various bags of food. Ashido explained to me how to take care of and treat the cat before hugging me goodbye to leave for work. Sero and Kaminari left a bit later, along with Jirou. Todoroki, Deku, and I were talking when Todoroki had to leave too.

"Goodbye babe," he said to Deku. I watched them lean in for a kiss and quickly looked away, feeling flowers and a massive amount of blood come up. I still didn't know much about this disease but I had a feeling that watching them kiss could kill me. I didn't want to take any chances.

About an hour later, Deku finally decided to go. "How about you come to the bakery tomorrow," he said to me.

I smiled. "Ok" I agreed. I stood up to walk him to the door. He waved at me and I covered my mouth, feeling the petals rise up again. I ran into the bathroom and coughed them into the toilet, flushing afterward.

"Sorry about that," I chuckled when I went back to the door.

Deku stared at me with a look of concern. "Bakugou?" he asked. I hummed in response. "I-..." he hesitated again. Instead of continuing he just smiled and waved at me once more before leaving my apartment, closing the door behind him.

The next day, I went to the cafe as promised. Deku handed me my usual plate of blueberry muffins, which I respectively turned down.

"Come on Kacchan, you need to eat something" he whined.

"I'm not hungry." I murmured.

He gave me a stern look, one my mom would always give me. I groaned and took one, eating it slowly. I finished the whole plate and the cup of coffee he had given me.

I ended up spending the day there all the way up until closing time. We walked to my car, laughing together. I even offered him a ride home, which he accepted and directed me to a nice, big house.

"So you can't afford a car but you have this gigantic palace?" I teased when we arrived.

"It's not my house" he replied blushing. "Its Todoroki's"

I felt my heart drop and my smile disappear. "Oh," I replied before realizing I need to stop being a dick head. He was happy with Todoroki. Why couldn't I just accept that? "Well have fun" I exclaimed, putting my smile back on. It may have been a fake smile, but it still brightened the mood a bit.

"Bye," he said, getting out of the car.

"Do you want me to walk you to the door?" I asked him, trying to be nice.

He smiled and nodded. I got out of my car and followed him up the walkway to the door. "Bye, Bakugou," he said softly when we reached the stairs. He climbed up them and was about to open the door when he suddenly turned back around. "Today was fun," he said.

"Yea" I replied.

"I- Can I ask you something?"

"Sure go ahead."

He closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. He then opened them and whispered, "Why do you like me?"

I felt my heart stop and my palms grow all clammy. "Because-" I started but stopped. I didn't... want to tell him. He was expecting an answer though. I sighed and started up again.

"Deku. You're an amazing person. Your kind and responsible. You care about other people and make sure everyone around you is happy. You're also really good looking. Like damn. Your eyes are the perfect shade of green and the way your hair just fades from green to black is really attractive. The freckles on your cheeks and the way they move around when you laugh makes me want to glue your mouth stuck open like that. When you smile at me, your eyes scrunch up a bit and your dimples show and it's so cute. And that little wave thing you do? You're so adorable. Everything about you. How short you are. And how innocent and pure you are. I just want to gather you up and hold on to you forever. I love being around you. I feel different when I'm around you. I feel like I'm actually loved. I- I don't know. It's so stupid. These are all dumb reasons"

"No, I think they're good reasons," Deku said. He smiled at me. "Well good night Kacchan!" He opened the door and disappeared inside.

I watched him go, feeling like a deer in headlights. What was that all about? Why'd he need to know all that stuff? He's probably laughing with Todoroki about me right now. About how stupid I am. About how I'm not as tough as how I portray myself to be. About how deep down inside, I care a lot about Deku and the people I love.

word count: 1388