Memories of Us

Elena's Dream

I walk out of my room and Damon stands there.

"Damon, what are you doing here?"

"I got suspicious. You've been acting weird, going off to Syracuse with Bonnie and Caroline. I know this makes me sound like a dick, but you're not yourself. I know Stefan left. But it couldn't have had that much of an influence on you. I did a bit of snooping and I found this on your phone. And you have some explaining to do." He turns it around and a picture of Alex and I is on the screen.

"Damon, I-"

"What are you hiding from me?"

"Damon-" His eyes move down to my lips. This is the only way to hide Alex at least for a few more years.

"Kiss me." I whisper. He presses his lips to mine and I tangle my fingers in his hair. He pulls away.

"You're trying to distract me. Why?"

"I just wanted you to kiss me."

"Then would you mind if I kissed you again?"

"No." He pulls his lips to mine again and he moves down to my neck.

"Stop doing that Elena. Tell me what's in Syracuse for you."

"You're an ass." I push him away and I sit down on the bed.

"Fine. I'm an asshole." He rips the vervain necklace he gave me off my neck and I watch in shock.

"D-Damon-"

"If you're not going to tell me the truth then I'll have to take it." My eyes meet with his.

"Why did you go to Syracuse?"

"I was pregnant. I was too embarrassed so I fled. I didn't want to be a disappointment."

"How is that possible?"

"I don't know."

"Did you have the baby?"

"Yes."

"What's the name?"

"Alex."

"Who's the father?" I bite my tongue and I try to fight it.

"Who is it Elena?!?" I taste blood.

"Tell me!"

"YOU!" I shout at him. He looks surprised and a mess of emotions plays on his face.

"Tell me about him. Please." He's not compelling me, but since he knows everything else now, there's no point. Tears fall out of my eyes.

"He's almost 3 now. He has crystal blue eyes like yours and he's growing up so beautifully. And the reason I didn't tell you was because I was ashamed. You didn't love me when we slept together. But he's in good hands. I go to Syracuse every now and then to see him but it's not often enough. I love him, Damon. And I know if you were around him you'd love him too." I say lowly and shakily.

"Please let me meet him Elena. He's my son. I need to see him." I hesitate.

"Please."

"Okay." He goes back to the boarding house to pack a bag, and I pack one too. Damon knows about our son. He knows. But it's better this way. He needed to know.

Damon appears in my doorway after about 10 minutes. He comfortingly rubs my shoulder.

"I know it was hard for you to tell me. And I won't let you down. I know I can be a good Dad for Alex. Because you're his mother and I love you."