Mother Where Art Tho?

"How is she?"

I wanted to interrogate him. I wanted to beat him down till he promised my sister would be ok. Famine didn't lie, I was dead inside, and I couldn't handle another loss. Did I know her that well? No of course not. But she was family, and I don't know...maybe because she was girl, or a Seer... there was something fragile and precious about her that drove me to want to protect her to the bitter end. I couldn't lose her like a lost Jo.
But I let Sammy take the lead on this. He was sober now and I knew he was the one to be talking to the medical staff, the brainiac. He'd understand it more. He'd keep his cool.

"She is stable. Waking up here and there. Even with the counter active drugs she's still pretty loopy. Nothing short of a miracle this didn't kill her. No one, especially not a recovering addict, should have survived this," the young male doctor explained to Sam.
I stood quietly beside him, biting my lip and glancing occasionally through the window at the silhouette of Hazel on her bed.
"But she's ok?" I finally chimed in.

The doctor let out a soft sigh, an annoyingly compassionate expression on his face.
"For the most part. We did a scan and...it does appear she sustained a small amount of brain damage."

My heart sank.

"How bad?" Sam's voice cracked.

"Its very subtle," the doctor replied reassuringly, "it could be nothing. At most she might have lost a few long term memories, maybe have some issues with attention span. But she's otherwise perfectly healthy. You can take her home as soon as she's awake and we've run final tests for discharge." With a smile the doctor nodded courteously and left us in the hall.
That's when Cas came striding toward us from the other end, arms laden with all manner of clutter. Snacks, drinks, books, a gameboy, a carton of cigarettes...
"Cas what-" Sam began.

"I brought all her favorite things," he said flatly. I chuckled dryly. There was something about him, regarding Hazel, that I didn't understand. He treated Sam and I like brothers, but Hazel...there was something more. He seemed the most human when it came to my sister.

"Cas, the doc says we can take her home. " Sam said, but upon seeing the angel disheartened, he quickly changed his beat, "but I'm sure she'll use all that on the ride."

"Can we go in?" The angel asked.

"Yeah, if she's awake."

"She is." He stared through the glass with that distant sight of a celestial being of his.

I anxiously led the way through the door, and Hazel's weary eyes and face turned to me with a small smile, melting my worries.
"Hey guys. " she said with a cracking throat.

"Hey, how you doing?" That was stupid. Why did I say that?

She scoffed. "Well...here I am. Again. I'm fine. Just a little weak. Ready to get out of here."

☆☆☆☆☆

Home. It was a great feeling after the week I'd just had. I was so thrilled to see Bobby again. To see my room and my belongings. My shower stuff...

Truth be told I was shaky. My body was still upset with me. It still wanted to get high. But that was never happening again. Truth be told, I told everyone I was fine but I was deeply disturbed by what happened.

I didn't want any more pity so I kept to myself, only joining Bobby for meals. I wouldn't even sit and watch our mutually loved TV shows together.

After a few days it was getting tiresome, so I joined him in his study where he was researching, bringing a scotch glass.

"Hey kid." He greeted lazily, still buried in a book with his head down. I set the glass down and planted myself in a chair nearby.

"Just one glass?" He asked, pouring the one I brought him.