Chapter twenty-four: The advice of a Longbottom

The Hogwarts grounds were extensive, nowhere seemed to end. Little Black walked slowly without anyone observing her thanks to the cloak that made her invisible. She passed some students and they were surprised to see the movement of the grass without cause. She kept walking, looking for a place that was not inhabited by anyone since she needed a moment alone with nature. She reached a lake and sat a little close being careful not to fall. She took off her cloak and left it next to her and then sighed and felt her eyes get wet.

She cried as quietly as she could in the sunlight. She opened her eyes when she heard a movement in the water and approached out of curiosity.

A woman's face peeked out of the water smiling at the girl, Calynn moved closer as that smile filled her with joy, she came closer and closer as the creature took the child's hand and pulled her toward her, the girl was submerging more and more until the water reached her chin...

"Enough! Flipendo!" Shouted a voice behind the girl with a wand raised.

The spell gave the kind of mermaid who gave a cry of anger away from the girl and plunged into the lake. The little girl was baffled to see that she was with her chin in the water. When she reacted, Calynn turned to see who had caused the spell and watched Frank.

"What was that?" Asked Calynn, bewildered.

"A mermaid, but one of the bad ones," said the boy.

"Are they bad?" Calynn asked curiously.

"Some are bad and others... don't hurt," Frank explained.

"What has that creature done to me?" Asked little Black.

"She pulled you deep into the lake without you noticing," Frank said quickly. "At least I arrived on time."

"Thank you for saving me," the girl said.

"It was nothing, it is fortunate that this spell worked out so well," said the boy and then sat down next to Calynn who had moved a little further from the lake.

"What's bothering you? Why does a howler affect you so much? Are Malfoy's nicknames the ones that make you feel this way?" The boy questioned, flooding the little girl with all his questions.

"I can't say it," the girl simply answered.

"No matter how serious it is, I'm here to accompany you," Frank said as he touched her black hair with love. The girl did not answer, just gave him a smile that was enough for him. "I see you brought your things for herbology," the boy commented, observing the little girl's belongings.

"I thought that after going here I could start looking for the greenhouses, I wish we have class with Slytherin since I want to apologize to Severus for an argument," Calynn said enthusiastically.

"I advise you not to join that Severus child, it is not very safe," the boy advised seriously.

"Why do you say that?" Little Black replied surprised and unable to avoid a small gesture of anger.

"He's a little strange," Frank explained, trying not to sound rude.

"Sometimes he may seem strange, but he really isn't," the girl replied.

"Don't take it badly, I'm just saying it for your safety," Frank explained nervously.

"Severus may be strange, but I don't think he's capable of harming anyone," said the girl, quite sure.

"It's just advice," Frank repeated. "I tell you because I care about you."

The children got up from where they were to start looking for greenhouses where they would take herbology in less than half an hour.