Chapter 5 : But

Kirishima paced the waiting room anxiously, gnawing his lip.

     "Calm down idiot," Bakugou said, typing away on his phone. Kirishima swiveled his head his way, baffled that Katsuki would talk to him like that.

     "Calm down? You want me to fucking calm down?!" Kirishima ran his hands through his messy hair, soft from messing with if to much. "I dunno if she's gonna die, live with a permanently damaged throat, be okay, anything! I dunno if she's alright after that asshole almost choked her to death, and you want me to CALM DOWN?!" Eijirou yelled on the brink of tears. "I can't lose my mom...she's all I have left....I can't let go of this...dread!" Eijirou clenched his fist in frustration and held back the tears that pooled in his eyes.

     "It's okay to worry, dipshit. I'm just asking for you to calm down because your ducking pacing is getting annoying!" Bakugou snapped back. Eijirou looked away in shame. He hadn't mean for his emotions to spill like that.

     "Sorry...I didn't mean to snap at you."

     "You say that like I'm a sensitive bitch that cries every time I get yelled at," he scoffed, "I don't give a fuck. You feel what you feel and that's that." Bakugou went back on his phone and Kirishima slowly took a seat. He was really tired, physically and both mentally.

     He curled up his knees to his chest and rested his forehead on them, finding a comfortable warmth in his body heat.

     'I guess it wouldn't hurt to close my eyes...' he thought tiredly.

...

...

"....ri...Kiri...! Kiri wake up!"

     Eijirou's eyes flew open and he gasped, unfolding himself and clutching the arm of the chair as he frantically looked around. Mina and Kaminari were staring at him very concerned and Katsuki was on the other side of the room with furrowed brows.

     "What happened? Did I fall asleep?" he asked, rubbing his eyes. Kaminari hummed and took a seat next to him, rubbing his back soothingly.

     "Yeah, Baku texted us unexpectedly and said that your mom was in the hospital," Mina cooed crouching in front of him. "What happened? Is she okay?" Eijirou looked down unsure and almost...heartbroken.

     "I'm not sure...she flatlined when they got out of the ambulance..." Kirishima's eyes started to water but he rubbed it away. The two gasped and looked at him with sympathetic faces.

     "Oh Kiri..." Mina gasped. She pulled him into a hug which surprised the redhead. "Let us be here for okay? I know you don't like to think about yourself but you gotta cry sometimes."

     "Yeah... I can't remember a time where we helped you emotionally..." Kaminari frowned. "We've helped you, like, wrap up your skidded knees and helped carry things you couldn't keep up with. Hell we even helped you clean you house—"

     "You mean helped distract him from cleaning his house," Mina corrected while Kaminari pokes his tongue out at her.

     "What I'm trying to say is that," Kaminari hugged both Mina and Kirishima, "you've done so much for us it almost feels like a one-sided broship."

     There was a moment of silence for Eijirou to process the words. He glanced at Katsuki who seemed kind of surprised yet bored as he stared at his phone.

     "I-I...." Eijirou gritted his teeth and squeezed his eyes shut. He bear hugged his friends like if he let go they'd disappear and started weeping in their shoulders. "I'm so-sorry..." he sniffled.

     Mina and Kaminari smiled and pulled their hurting friend closer to them protectively. Katsuki instinctively softened his features a little, which caught the redheads eyes as he tried to calm down.

"I'm—I'm sorry, haha," he forced out, making his lips curl up in a smile. "I didn't mean to make you guys feel like that."

"We care about you man! That's what's bro's are for!" Kaminari said. Mina was also about to say something but the doctor came into the room.

"Are you all here for Miss Kirishima Saiya?" the man asked. Eijirou stood up, accidentally shoving off his friends that were still hugging him.

"Yeah, I'm her son. Is she okay?" Kirishima asked quickly. The doctor looked him up and down and smiled.

"She's going to fine. Though, she'll have trouble speaking for a little while, but she should return back to normal in a few weeks."

It felt like 10,000 tons were lifted off of his shoulders and he was finally able to breathe again.

"May I ask, why did her heart stop when they took her out of the ambulance?" Bakugou asked, walking up next to Eijirou who nodded. The doctor sighed.

"Well, this may sound a little bit eccentric, but her body released a lot of tension which cause her heart to slow down and stop because it wasn't used to being relaxed like that. It's rare but it happens." Kirishima frowned.

"She's always been working a lot. Even when she comes home she always has something to do." The doctor hummed as he wrote down something on his clipboard.

"Thank you. You may come see her, BUT one at a time. She's in room 208–"

Kirishima didn't even wait for the doctor to finish before he bolted down the hallway. His eyes scanned over until they landed on a number and he flew open the door, startling a nurse and gaining his mother's attention.

Saiya had a bandage around her neck and a few on her face, but she seemed content to see Eijirou.

"Hey Eiji," she whispered, raspy which made the boy tear up.

"Ma'am, you need to refrain from talking for your throat to heal back to normal," the nurse said washing her hands in a nearby sink. "And sir, please be more polite to our patients and not slam open the door. That would be greatly appreciated." She gave him an annoyed glance and the boy chuckled.

"Sorry miss, I guess I was a bit emotional haha. I promise to not let it happen again," he smiled apologetically, which made the nurse blush a little. Now that he thinks about it, she looked around his age.

"Thank you sir. If you don't mind me asking, what is your relationship with the patient?" she asked, professionally. He blinked for a moment before a wide and proud grin graced his face.

"Oh, she's my mom!" he chirped.

"Ah, I see," she wrote something down, "Is your name Kirishima Eijirou then?"

"Yep!" He looked at his mother who winked at him which made him a bit confused.

"Alright, well that's all. Be careful and have a nice day," she murmured and made her way out of the room.

"Why'd you wink at me? Was there something in your eye?" Eijirou asked, sitting next to her. She sighed and rolled her eyes hopelessly.

_________________________________________

Published January 18 2020
Edited December 17 2022