Chapter 17

Harley

That night, after Tessa and I went back to our tents, Emma seemed a little bit grumpier than normal. I pretended to not notice.

I awoke the next morning to a text from Tessa.

Tessa: I have an idea

Tessa: sand crabs + shoes

Harley: approved. I'll meet you at the tall palm tree in ten.

I quickly got dressed and brought a small bucket to the palm trees that lined where the campsite ended and the beach began. I leaned against the tallest palm tree for a minute before Tessa jogged over to me, smiling excitedly.

"Oh, right, a bucket. That would be handy." We waited for a wave to come, then scooped up some sand and saw a couple of small crabs squirming in the wet sand. Tessa and I tried to get just the crabs out and put the sand back onto the ground. We ended up with four crabs. The two of us silently crept into Ethan's car where April was asleep and placed the crabs in her hi-top shoes so they couldn't climb out. Then, I left for my own campsite and went back to sleep.

-<>-<>-

A shriek rang through the silent campground and I knew Tessa's plan had worked. "What was that?" Emma asked, her voice raspy from sleep.

I shrugged innocently. "Maybe someone woke up and they weren't in Kansas anymore." I joked, which made Emma smile.

We both got ready for the day then decided to go to town to eat breakfast and go shopping and walk around. I knew that in a few days I might be forced to go back with my dad and uncle, so I enjoyed time with my mom as it lasted. We got frozen yogurt from a really cute place called Kimmie's and listened to some street musicians play eighties music. Tessa kept me updated on how April was trying to convince Ethan to go back to LA, but he argued that they already paid for three nights, and they might as well stay there.

a/n: okay. so. i haven't updated this in about six months or something and i know this is short but i just needed to get my creative juices flowing, you know? 

also! if you like the outsiders or marvel, check out my other cringey books!

also also! thanks for all the support and i could not thank y'all enough for being persistent and patient with me <3

XOXO, Lia