They're After Us!

CHAPTER 8

CHAPTER 8

As they made their way back to the beaver's home they could hear the howls of wolves before Mr.Beaver started to get panicked.

"Hurry, Mother! They're after us!" Mr. Beaver orders as they rush into the house.

"Oh, right then," Mrs. Beaver says before she starts grabbing things.

"What's she doing?" Peter asks.

"Oh, you'll be thanking me later. It's a long journey and Beaver gets pretty cranky when he's hungry," Mrs. Beaver explains as Susan starts to help her.

"I'm cranky now!" Mr. Beaver tells her.

"Do you think we'll need jam?" Susan asks as she adds it to the other food.

"Only if the Witch serves toast," Elizabeth retorts causing Susan to glare at her. The growls of the wolves could be heard outside before they started to dig into the home. Mr. Beaver quickly ushers them into a hidden tunnel.

"Badger and me dug this. Comes out right near his place," Mr. Beaver explains as he leads the way.

"You told me it led to your mum's!" Mrs. Beaver accuses before Lucy trips.

"Lucy!" Elizabeth says as she helps Lucy up before they hear the wolves.

"They're in the tunnel," Lucy says scared.

"Quick! This way. Hurry!" Mr. Beaver tells them.

"You should have brought a map!" Mrs. Beaver says as Mr. Beaver leads them to what appears to be a dead end.

"There wasn't room next to the jam," Mr. Beaver retorts before climbing up. Elizabeth and Peter make sure that Lucy and Susan are up before going up themselves.

"Come on, Lucy!" Susan says as she pulls Lucy out of the hole. After Peter and Elizabeth are out they use a barrel to block the hole. Lucy trips over what appears to be statues before Mr. Beaver walks over to a stone badger.

"I'm so sorry, dear," Mrs. Beaver says as she joins him.

"He was my best mate," Mr. Beaver says sadly.

"What happened here?" Elizabeth asks as they look around to see more animals turned to stone.

"This is what becomes of those who cross the Witch," A fox says as he appears out of nowhere.

"You take one more step, traitor, and I'll chew you to splinters!" Mr. Beaver threatens as Mrs. Beaver holds him back.

"Relax. I'm one of the good guys," The fox says as he walks closer.

"Yeah? Well, you look an awful lot like one of the bad ones," Mr. Beaver accuses.

"An unfortunate family resemblance. But we can argue breeding later. Right now we've got to move," The fox explains before they hear the wolves in the tunnel.

"What did you have in mind?" Peter asks him. The fox has them climb into a tree before covering their tracks.

"Greetings, gents. Lost something, have we?" The fox asks as the wolves circle him.

"Don't patronize me! I know where your allegiance lies," Maugrim states. "We're looking for some humans."

"Humans? Here in Narnia? That's a valuable bit of information, don't you think?" The fox questions him before a wolf grabs him from behind. Elizabeth quickly covers Lucy's mouth as she goes to gasp.

"Your reward is your life. It's not much, but still. Where are the fugitives?" Maugrim threatens him. The fox looks down sadly, making Elizabeth think that he was going to tell where they were.

"North. They ran north," The fox tells Maugrim.

"Smell them out," Maugrim orders before the fox is tossed to the side and the wolves take off. Once they were sure that the wolves were gone they climbed out of the tree and built a fire.

"They were helping Tumnus. The Witch got here before I did," Mr. Fox explains about the animals turned to stone.

"Are you all right?" Lucy asks as Mr. Fox whimpers.

"Well, I wish I could say their bark was worse than their bite. Ow!" Mr. Fox answers her as Mrs. Beaver tries to help him.

"Stop squirming! You're worse than Beaver on bath day," Mrs. Beaver tells him.

"Worst day of the year," Mr. Beaver says causing Elizabeth to giggle.

"Thank you for your kindness, but that's all the cure I have time for," Mr. Fox says as he stands up.

"You're leaving?" Elizabeth asks.

"It has been a pleasure, My Queen, and an honor, but time is short and Aslan himself has asked me to gather more troops," Mr. Fox explains causing her to lightly smile as he called her queen. She had to admit that she liked it.

"You've seen Aslan?" Mr. Beaver asks as Mrs. Beaver gasps.

"What's he like?" Mrs. Beaver asks.

"Like everything we've ever heard. You'll be glad to have him by your side in the battle against the Witch," Mr. Fox answers.

"But we're not planning on fighting any witch," Susan tells him.

"But surely, King Peter, the prophecy!" Mr. Fox states.

"We can't go to war without you," Mr. Beaver adds.

"We just want our brother back," Peter tells them.