Chapter 1

It was the middle of summer. The post had come, there were several letters. I scan through them. Bill. Bill. Bill....What was this, a yellow envelope? Beautiful calligraphy spelt out Sarah Stonebridge in black ink. That's me. I turned it over; there was a wax seal on the opening of the letter. The symbol was a shield shape split into four sections; each section had a different weapon. The first I ran my finger along the edge of the envelope. I opened the envelope carefully. Inside there were several forms and a letter the letter said:

Dear Miss Stonebridge,

We would like to inform you that you have been chosen from millions to go to St Van Helsing's Boarding School along with other students. You will need to be there on Monday 13th September. Classes will start the following Monday. You do not need to bring any educational supplies as they will be provided for you. If you wish to proceed with going to St Van Helsing's Boarding School please fill out the follo wing forms which are sealed within this envelope. Return them on day of arrival.

Mr Grim, Headmaster of St Van Helsing's

St Van Helsing's what school was that? I've never heard of it and never ever I wanted to go there. I went to my mum upstairs. She was still in bed like she was every morning at 8'o'clock.

"Mum, do you know anything about St Van Helsing's Boarding?" I said.

"What the hell are you talking about Sarah?" she said sleepily.

Well that's a no. Well I might as well see what I've been chosen for. I'll look it up. I went to the laptop and typed in St Van Helsing's Boarding school. I found absolutely nothing on the school. My mum came down the stairs. She looked at the letter. She turned to me like she was going to say something then went back to read the letter. Finally she looked at me and said

"I thought you liked your school." She looked surprised.

"I do like my school." I replied quickly.

That was lie. I had one friend and she would normally leave me on my own most days. Instead she would go sit with another group of girls. Plus all the teachers hated me and I was even bullied. Looking back at it I don't know how I survived year 7,8 and 9 and how I'll have to survive year 10.But I didn't want to tell my mum that or she would start to worry about me and the last thing I wanted.

"So why is there a letter about boarding school." she said slightly louder.

"I don't know "I said.

"Well considering you took a place from someone else and you were chosen from thousands...."she said

I did not like where this was going.

"I think you should go after it would rude not to." She said smirking

"But-"I blurted out before she cut me off.

"No buts you are going it would be a good experience for you. It'll make you more independent. Just trust me." she said firmly.

"Ok." I replied. I didn't dare not to agree.

"Right, go pack your things ready. There's only a week before you have to go." she said.

I did exactly what she said. I rushed up stairs and into her room. I packed her best clothes into a suitcase and then some of her other clothes that she was to use as backups. Then she didn't know what else to put in because they said don't bother bringing school supplies. But I'm pretty sure I'll need a pen, pencil and rubber. I also decided I would take some books.

The week pasted quickly and before I knew it... It was the day that I left home so I could be tortured by other teachers, bullied by other girls and ignored by other friends. I was going to hate this school so much.

"Come on Sarah, it's time to go. You don't want to be late." Mum shouted from the bottom of the stairs.

I descended the stairs, after every step there was a thump as the suitcase followed behind me. I took a last look of the house before I went out the front door. I shoved the suitcase onto the back seat. I looked at the house once more and then got in to the car. My mum locked the front door and rushed to the car. She started the engine and off we went.

It was quiet. Nobody started a conversation. It was just silent. I watched trees pass by. I was bored to death. I had nothing to do and only mum to talk to because dad said he had important things to do. That meant he was sitting at home watching sports. Yes, he would rather watch sports than say goodbye to his own daughter. Isn't he a great dad?

Suddenly, the car stopped. I thought we had just stopped for a break or whatever, but we were parked in front of a pair of iron gates. My mum shooed me out of the car and I yanked the suitcase out of the back.

The stone wall surrounding the building had a thick layer of barbed wire put on top and when I looked through the gates the place looked deserted but grand at the same time. I forgot to mention that the gates had 5 padlocks on it, but they were all unlocked. After seeing this a few questions came to mind... Am I in the right place? Did we take a wrong turn? Mum was never very good with maps. Why is the so much security? Am I at a prison? Before I could tell my mum I thought we were in the wrong .... She had already turned round and started diving back. Thanks mum. Well I had no other option but to go inside. Now I really wished it wasn't a prison. I swung the gate open and started to creep slowly inside...

Authors Note

Thanks for reading. Please comment. Tell me what you think.