THIRTEEN

⇥✰⇤
Perfect

"Good as new" Mavis spoke out loud as she finished wiping the blood and dirt off El's face, in the Wheeler bathroom. El turned to look in the mirror as she touched her bald head.

"I told you that you didn't need it, I meant that," Mavis told her again as El's eyes found hers once again.

"Mav" she stated as Mavis's abnormally large eyes for bigger.

"Yeah?" she asked with a hopeful tone of voice.

"Never mind," El said as she looked down, not catching Mavis's face fall.

"Still pretty?" El asked as she looked in the mirror again, making Mavis look her way with a quick nod.

"Yeah! Really pretty, gorgeous even" Mavis went on in a ramble as El gave her an odd look.

"Gorgeous?" she questioned her as Mavis nodded.

"Yeah, gorgeous is another word for pretty but better," Mavis told her with a shrug as El nodded.

"What's better than gorgeous?" El asked her now as Mavis sighed and thought for a moment.

"I guess perfect, perfect is when you can't find anything wrong at all" Mavis said as El stared at her before using her pointer finger to push the tip of Mavis's nose a little.

"Perfect" she mumbled as Mavis blushed a deep shade of red and cleared her throat before looking up at the barley taller girl.

"I umm... I'm really glad you're back home" Mavis said as El reached in her pocket and pulled out the small compass.

"Back to you," she said as Mavis grinned with a nod before the door swung open.

"Guys! It's Lucas! I think he's in trouble!" Dustin yelled as the two girls shared a look before running after him through the door frame.

"Remember how he said he was looking for the gate?" Dustin asked as he neared the walkie-talkie.

"Yeah?" Mike asked confused.

"What if he found it?" Dustin asked while Lucas's scratchy yells came through the speaker.

"What's he saying?" Mike asked with a confused look.

"Oh my gosh, what if he's hurt?" Mavis began to panic as El quickly latched onto her hand for support.

"Lucas if you can hear us slow down, we can't understand you" Mike tried to stay calm as he talked through the walkie in hopes of finding Lucas. But the only thing that came through was odd shouts and static again.

"Mad hen? Does that mean anything to you? Like a code name?" Dustin questioned as he heard it come through the speakers.

"Bad men" Mavis whispered as she now understood her best friend, looking up to Mike his eyes widened.

"Bad men! Stay here!" he demanded before running up the stairs with Dustin behind them.

"Bad men? For me?" El asked as she began to look scared as Mavis turned her body to face her.

"Nothing is gonna happens, understand? Nothing. Grab your stuff" Mavis said as she helped El put the boxes of Eggos into a backpack and then helped her put the blue jacket onto her arms.

"They're here," Mike said as the two ran back down the stairs.

"Cmon then!" Mavis yelled at him as the four ran out of the door and jumped on the bikes. When they reached the end of the street, they saw a whole bunch of men looking their way with a white-haired man in between them.