Chapter 1: Boss in distress

Cecilia Blackett P.O.V

I watched as my boss, Logan Knight runs his hand through his tousled hair. He was in a state of disarray which is a very rare sight. "No, Mom. I can't attend the marriage meeting, next week. I'm busy." he argues with his mother. I hide a smile as I watch him. A stern CEO being controlled by a sweet, soft-spoken woman, his mother. He sighs loudly and listens quietly to the phone. "Mom- WHAT? What do you mean you're here-" he stutters as the door of the office opens revealing Mrs. Knight. She enters with a victorious smile with her phone in her hand. I rush to get her a seat and I go into the kitchen to make them something to drink since something told me that she wasn't leaving anytime soon.

I place the steaming cup of coffee in front of them on the table. She gives me a dazzling smile and thanks me. Suddenly, Mr. Knight's arm swiftly wraps around my waist and says, "Mom, the true reason why I can't attend the marriage meeting because I'm dating someone. Meet Cecilia Blackett, my girlfriend. Cecilia, this is my mother." I shoot Logan a startled look and I quickly pull my flustered thoughts out of the way. I put on a shy smile and say, "It's true, ma'am. We have been seeing each for a while now." She straightens up in her seat and beams at the both of us.

"Why didn't you just say so, Logan!" She huffs, unable to contain her excitement. I look at Logan and he nods, confirming my thoughts. She believed us and we were off the hook for now. She skips to the door, looking a much different woman. She turns to face us and parts, but not without saying, "Well, the marriage meeting is canceled! And Logan? I hope to see you two together for tomorrow's brunch!" We both let out a relieved sigh as we watch her disappear into the elevator. His arm immediately leaves my waist and I awkwardly take a few steps back. He gives me a sheepish look. "I'm sorry about that." he apologizes, straightening his tie. I give him a reassuring smile and return to my desk.

I pretend to organize papers on my desk to sort out my scrambled thoughts. He had just introduced me as his girlfriend to his mother. He clears his throat loudly, trying to get my attention and I turn to see him with a hopeful expression. "About tomorrow?" he asks, making me smile wider. Talk about a damsel in distress! He looks at me with big hopeful blue eyes and I give in. "Sure, only this time," I replied, making him smile. He then proceeds to pick up his phone and call his client as if nothing had happened. He takes a seat at his desk and begins talking in fluent Spanish and before I can begin to try to understand, he starts speaking in Italian.

I highly doubt that this guy would be single. He was good looking with deep blue eyes, a defined jawline, and a fit body. Not mention, his extremely successful company. Surely, he could even hire a model to be his girlfriend! Why me? Must have been bad timing! He had his usual smirk on his face that he got whenever he knew he got a good deal. I shake my thoughts on him away. I can't let brunch distract me. I need to pay my debts to Mr. Grenies. As Logan inherited his mother's charisma and language abilities, I inherited my father's debts from his gambling. I had dropped out of high school to pay off his debts. I owed Mr. Grenies 1 million grant and I still had to pay him half since I had already paid him, 500,000.

I worked my butt off by numerous shifts at diners and babysitting jobs. It was about two years ago since I had been hired by Mr. Knight. Luckily, my dad was a large spender and I made most of the money by selling his cars. I soon had to sell my house and I lived in a homeless shelter since I needed money to pay debts. I met Mr. Knight and he had unknowingly hired me as his secretary by thinking I was his secretary. I fixed up his meeting and he hired me. Now, I am comfortable working as his secretary as an actual full-time job. I had finally a steady salary that gave me enough money for an apartment. I now live in a proper apartment and I adored my life.

People now saw me as an actual person, not some charity case. People treated me like I was a person with a brain. Mr. Knight was the first person to not judge me by my background. Instead, he put me to the test. The phone rings loudly bringing mine out of my memories. I answered the phone and proceeded to arrange meetings with the client. The rest of the day went smoothly and quickly flew by. I soon found myself packing up my files and my papers. I walk and call the elevator. I get in and when a hand flies in right between the closing door stopping it from fully closing. I let my eyes trail up the hand to lead to Mr. Knight. He had a displeased expression on his face. "Tomorrow, I'll call you," he says and with that said, he walks away without a warning.

It was unthinkable that he gave me the hopeful look this morning. Now he was indifferent! I scowled as the elevator doors fully closed. I sighed and put on a smile on my face as I get off the elevator. I leave the building and I walk to the station. I ride home, thinking about the debts and how I need to pay today. I go up to my apartment and I see Mr. Grenies waiting for me there outside the door. I quickly pull out the envelope from my bag and give it to him. He looks into it, checking it. "I'll be back soon. Try not to miss me too much. And if you can't pay next time, you can always pay me with your body, darling." he leers, making me gag internally at his supposedly flirty face. I give him a polite smile and slam the door shut in his face.

I instantly regret it and I know he's going to give me hell after what I did. I sigh and sit down on my couch. I look at the time and I slowly get up. I know Mr. Knight enough, to know that he would call me without a warning and I needed to be prepared for anything. I put out my outfit for tomorrow and I jump into the shower. I wash my hair carefully and I was beginning to feel nervous. Despite the fact that I wasn't his actual girlfriend, I needed to impress Mrs. Knight.