Chapter 9: The ball

Cecilia P.O.V

I gasp as I see the beautiful interior. The ballroom has a high ceiling and a stunning chandelier hangs. There are marble pillars and there is an enormous balcony. It looks like a fairytale ballroom and I feel so out of place. Logan gently leads me down the stairs and then I take notice of the people in the room. Men are in suits and women are wearing glamorous dresses.

"Logan!" I hear a gorgeous woman in a sea-green dress call. Logan and I walk towards her. Logan places his arm around my waist. "Jessie! How are you?" He greets her with a friendly smile. Jessie grins and steps forward. "Great, but who cares about me! I want to know who is this goddess?" She replies, giving me a smile. "Hello, I'm Cecilia Blackett. Logan's girlfriend. It's nice to meet you." I say, making her grin even wider. Logan's arm pulls me closer to his side. "Love, this is my cousin, Jessie. Excuse me, Jessie. She is my date, do not steal her away." He says, quickly leaving.

She shakes her head, exasperated. Logan leads me away and I turn to give her a tiny wave. "We will talk later! She's a keeper!" She bellows over our shoulders, making my cheeks heat up. Logan sighs and turns to look at me. "Sorry, Jess is nice but really chatty." He explains, I nod and give him a smile. Suddenly, we are approached by a gentleman with a kindly smile. Logan's grin widens and he gives the man a warm hug. I watch as they begin to converse and I know that Logan is making a business deal. I watch as several other people join their conversation. I lightly tap his shoulder and say, "I'm just going to get some fresh air." He nods and I give the man a polite smile. I make my way through the crowd to the balcony.

The balcony is unoccupied and peaceful. I look out at the view. I see the lighthouse and the beautiful ocean at night. "I assume that you are not the social type." Says a voice from behind and I see a man. He grins widely. He joins me into looking at the landscape. "Lovely view, isn't it?" He says, loosening his tie. He turns to me with a friendly smile. I return a smile and reply, "It is very breathtaking." The music starts and we turn to see couples beginning to dance. "I must return, my sister would look for me." He says, tightening his tie up. He sighs and starts making his way back into the room. "It was nice talking to you," I say. He flashes me a quick grin before disappearing into the crowd. I step into the ballroom with a sigh. I feel a light tap on my shoulder and turn to see Louise's furious face. "There you are! I've been looking for you everywhere!" She exclaims, waving her arms around dramatically. She takes my hand and pushes through the crowd.

"Where are we going?" I asked, timidly. Louise stops and gives me a reassuring smile. Soon I see Jessie with the man I was just with. "Hey there! I told you that we'll meet again!" Jessie retorts, with a smile. The man gives me a knowing wink. "Hey, when did you guys get so close?" asks Louise, shooting us a puzzled look. Jessie and I glance at each other with a smile. "A couple of minutes ago," I explained, the man extends his hand to me. I take it with a smile and shake it. "Fancy seeing you here, again," I say the corners of his lips turn upwards. Jessie looks at me, bewildered. "I'm Max. This is the sister that I was talking about." He replies, giving his sister a pointed look. Jessie smiles and laughs. "Well then, there is no need for introductions," she says, looking pleased. Louise gives an impatient huff and we turn to look at her. "We have an emergency! LOOK!" She whispers, pointing towards the dance floor. I turn to see Elise wearing a dark blue gown dancing with ... Logan. I was about to roll my eyes but I realised that Louise did not know that we weren't really dating, so I managed to stop myself. She looked amazing and she fit so perfectly in his arms. The two really were meant for each other. I watched as he twirled her and how they laughed.

"I am so sorry that my brother is a fucking dumbass." Louise says, bringing me out of my thoughts. I shake my head and say, "It's fine, they are really good friends after all." She gives me a look of surprise. Jessie takes my hands in hers and explains, "Do not give him an excuse. You came here and he introduced you as his girlfriend. Yet, he is dancing with his ex-girlfriend in front of all these people! What a nerve!" I turn to look at Max and he gives a nod, showing his agreement. Louise stares at me and then she turns to Max. A devious smile comes onto her face and Jessie looks at her with the exact same expression. "Are you thinking what I thinking, Lou?" Jessie questions and they squeal in delight. Max shoots me a we-are-so-dead-help-me look. I return a what-is-happening-here look and before he could answer Louise talks. "I have a plan. You and Max are going there and dance. Logan is going to die of jealousy." She exclaims.

She pushes us into the dance floor without a warning and I find myself dancing. "I'm so sorry," I whispered to Max, who looked rather unbothered. His arm comfortably rests around my waist and I place my hand on his shoulder. "I'm quite used to this." He explains, twirling me. I laugh and we dance ridiculously. He twirls me way too much and I nearly trip about a thousand times but I am having so much fun. The whole dance floor is spinning and Max shoots me a crazy grin. That's when I crash into a hard surface and I look up to see Logan's angry face. Shit.