20

' Hop in.'

Kenneth said as he opened the passenger door of his car. Nkuli looked away telling him she was good. She was waiting outside where her car was being serviced, dressed in a simple t-shirt and shorts. She looked too good for a mother of four he thought.

' Pretty please?'

She smiled shaking her head at his childish behaviour when he dragged the please.

' Kenny I am waiting on my car.'

' I promise I'll bring you back.'

She stood up and got into his car after deliberating with herself for a second.

' What would you like to eat?'

' Ribs would be great right now.'

Kenneth smiled, she was never indecisive and he appreciated that about her. Though she had the tendency to change her mind after getting to the restaurant. He drove her to her favorite restaurant silently.

' I've been craving these for a few days now.'

' Here you wanted to refuse me.'

' Shutup. You know I hate leaving my car alone.'

' I cannot believe you don't trust them still. You've been with them for so long.'

' Doesn't mean they won't try something. Anyway you did not come here to discuss my mechanic.'

The waiter walked over and placed their food on the table. Nkuli took a fork and ate some of his pasta before eating her own food. He shook his head she always ordered food only to eat his.

' That's good. Should have ordered that.'

' Old habits die hard hey. Anyway I hear Senzo say that you and Susie aren't talking.'

' Yep.'

' You know she was only trying to help.'

' She should stop meddling. If you brought me here to talk about Susie. I am leaving.'

Kenneth grabbed her wrist to stop her when she tried to walk away.

' Please stay I need to talk to you.'

Nkuli looked at him for a second and thought of the keys to communication and the therapist's advice. Also his pleading eyes made her reconsider and sit back down.

' I first wanted to apologise for not making it to dinner on time two nights ago.'

' Well it's water under the bridge. Like you said you lost track of time.'

' Truth is Jess came over and we got into an argument-'

' You don't have to explain yourself to me. It's not like we're in a relationship or anything like that.'

Nkuli did her best to calm herself and not start an argument with him. Kenneth noticed that she was trying to do as the therapist had advised. The trip had helps them in some way. Not as much as their friends had hoped but there was change in his wife. They continued to eat silently.

' Can we start over?'

' Have you not thought that maybe there's nothing we can do to salvage this marriage. Maybe it has run it's course and we should just let it go.'

' No I do not believe that. I am still very much with you and I know I fucked up and hurt you but that wasn't intentional.'

' You know you can still love someone but that doesn't mean you guys are meant for each other.'

' I know we are. Knew it the first day I set my eyes on you.'

Nkuli listened to him, she did not agree but promised to think about it.