Chapter 2

Cameron Santiago POV

"What do you mean no?" Coach Paul asked me in awe.

"I'm not ready."

"Did you not hear what I told you. You are strong. You are ready. You are ready for another push in your life" He challenges back.

"You don't understand, the pressure I am going to be under on a national level. I don't think that's good for me. Yes, I have come far, but that's because my life finally stabilized. This could make me or break me." I say feeling the insecurity and stress in my voice.

"Okay. Okay. I see where you are coming from. But Cameron, look how well you are doing here. You managed well in a new environment. It's a great opportunity for you to grow some more. You can't let fear stop you from playing the game. My advice is that you try it. Try the camp out. It doesn't hurt and then we can go from there. One step at a time."

"One step at a time." I repeat out loud. "Okay, I'll give it a go."

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Flash forward a few days and I am on the plane to LAX. I can't stop thinking about what is about to come my way. Will the coaches like me and what I bring to the table? Will the other players even look at me or support me? Will Ashlyn Harris remember me? Will I relapse? Will I fail? Will I mess up my only opportunity? Will I disappoint my coaches back at Stanford? My mind is racing. My thoughts are interrupted by the pilot telling us to fasten our seatbelts as we prepare for landing. Here goes nothing.

After the plane lands, I make my way to baggage claim and pick up my bag. I tried my best to carry light which just includes the essentials and clothes. As I pick up my bag, I see a man holding up my name on his tablet.

"Hi, sir. That's me."

"Welcome to LA, Ms. Santiago." He states as he guides me to the parked car outside. It was a short trip to the hotel. Ben, my driver, and I had a nice conversation on the drive down. I got lost in conversation many times that I forgot why I was really here. We talked about his family and how this universe does crazy things so things fall in place no matter if they are good or bad.

"Well this is your stop, Cameron." Ben says as he looks at me through his rearview mirror.

"I appreciate you for making this ride enjoyable. Have a beautiful rest of the day." I reply.

"Thank you and you too. Here's my business card. If you ever need to get around town just give me a call."

"I'll hold you to those words. Thank you again."

I now stand in front of the hotel that holds everyone. I take a deep breath and walk in.

I am met with Coach Vlatko who appears to have been waiting for me to show up.

"You must be Cameron Santiago. I have seen what you can do on the field and to say I'm impressed is an understatement." He smiles and shakes my hand.

"Thank you for giving me this chance to prove myself."

"Don't disappoint and give it all you got. Things should be okay. The team should be meeting in ballroom 1 for dinner around 7pm. You can do what you want in the meantime, just don't get yourself into any trouble."

"Thank you. Do you happen to know what room I am in?"

"Oh yes, room 707. You'll be sharing a room with Kelley O'Hara. The rest of the team is also on the seventh floor."

"Cam?" I hear my name being called interrupting my conversation with Vlatko.

"No way! Cameron Santiago? Is that really you" I turn to my left to see the one and only Ashlyn Harris making her way out of the elevator with Ali Krieger. If we haven't met before I would be starstruck right now, but that's not the case. She proceeds to make her way towards me and her facial expression looks like she is trying to figure out if her eyes are deceiving her. Well they aren't.

"Cameron Santiago in the flesh." I respond to her question.

I run and jump into her arms. Time stops as we embrace each other. Everything I went through and everything WE went through flashes across my mind. Wow this is real. We really are seeing each other again. I don't know how long we embraced for but it had to be for at least a minute before we are interrupted.

"I'm guessing you two already know each other," Vlatko states.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

AN- Let me know how you like this story and your guesses as to how Ashlyn knows Cameron. Hope you are enjoying this story. Have a nice day.

-AK