Chapter 12 - Gone?

The next day Ishaan woke up to a hysterical Vaani. She was crying non stop. It was too early in the morning for Ishaan to figure out what was going on.
He went to her and comforted her.
"Now take deep breaths Vaani and then try explain what happened." Ishaan said. Vaani gave her father an unsure look. She didn't know whether to hate him or accept his comfort.
"It's Muskaan.. I mean.. she, she left us!" Vaani said in between her sobs. Ishaan couldn't understand. That wasn't possible was it?
"Nonsense! She couldn't have left us."
Ishaan went to check her room only to find a empty room. She truly had left them. He couldn't process what was going on. He didn't understand, maybe he didn't want to.
"But how and when.." he said confused.
"Didn't you read the letter?"
"What letter?

Vaani went to her fathers room, walked closer to the nightstand and grabbed the letter. She went back to her father and handed him the letter. Ishaan nervously took the letter. He wasn't sure if he was ready to open it.
"Open it!" Vaani demanded.
He gave in and opened it. He slowly began to read the letter. While reading the letter tears flow down his cheek.
"It's all my fault!" He mumbled. Ishaan was so angry at himself. Why did he let her go. Why did he have to treat her so badly. Ishaan didn't want to lose her. Not like he lost Sonam. He couldn't lose her too. Why did he have to be such an idiot. The heart does what it wants and he blamed her for it. Vaani felt bad for her father. She knew how much he loved her. And she was aware he had done a mistake by letting her leave, but she wasn't going to remind him.
"It's okay dad! But you have to get her back! Please I can't lose her another time!" Vaani said sadly.
Ishaan looked at his daughter. He felt bad being the reason she was sad. He just had to make Muskaan come back. He just had to. If not for him, for Vaani.
"I'll try my best, I promise!" He said and hugged Vaani tightly.

An hour had passed and Ishaan was still trying to reach out to her. But no answer. He had lost her forever. And the worst about this situation was that Vaani had lost her aunt because of him again. He could never forgive himself.
How could he be such a horrible person. Muskaan didn't deserve that. She deserved someone who treats her the way she deserves it. But the thought of her finding someone else saddened him. They belonged together. The universe wanted it that way.

Muskaan had settled in nicely in France. Her new job had organized everything for her. She had her own little apartment in the heart of France. Paris. Her new apartment was small, but cosy. It had everything she was going to need. Besides it felt warm, maybe not like home, but somewhere in between that. There she was in the city of love all alone. Her love was thousands of miles away from her. Muskaan went to check her phone to see if she had gotten any call from her boss, to see when she should arrive at work tomorrow. But instead she saw a lot of missed calls from Ishaan. She didn't want to call him back at first, but her heart wanted to hear his voice. She played with the thought of calling him for a few minutes. While taking a deep breath she called him. She went out to her balcony and waited for him to pick up.

"Muskaan?! Oh I'm so glad you called me! Please listen to me! I am so sorry for everything I've done to you! I am such an idiot for hurting you, please come back so I can make it up to you! Vaani needs you, I need you!"

Muskaan's heart sank. She wiped away her tears. She couldn't go back. Not after what he had done. She loved him dearly, but their relationship wasn't healthy. And certainly wasn't going to work.

"Ishaan I'm not coming back.."