Chapter 16 - Birthday

After Muskaan had dropped that bombshell everything had calmed down a little. Ishaan had excused himself and had withdrawn himself into his office. He couldn't accept the fact not only had she moved on, but also that she was engaged. Ishaan didn't want to believe that. He believed in the fact that deep down buried Muskaan still felt the same for him. Muskaan hated seeing him so sad, but she couldn't do anything about it. It wasn't her place to do so either. Alex, Vaani and Muskaan were seated in the living room while chatting.

"How long will you stay?" Vaani asked Muskaan curiously.

"I'm not going to leave you anymore! I'll be staying forever." Muskaan said with a big smile. Vaani practically jumped into her aunt's arm out of excitement.

"So that means you'll stay for my birthday party right? Its later in the evening! All my friends will come!"

"But I don't have anything to wear!" She laughed.

"Don't worry, I'm sure I have something that will fit you!"

"Well Muskaan you can't refuse that offer can you?" Alex smiled.

"Seems like I can't."

Vaani clapped her hands in excitement. It was as if you've given the world to a 5 year old. Muskaan looked at her niece and smiled. She was happy to be back. And even happier to be able to spend some time with her niece. Vaani looked at her watch.

"We should get ready!"
She said and dragged her aunt upstairs.
Vaani searched for a few dresses that would fit her aunt and the occasion.
She put a few options on her bed and waited for Muskaan to choose one.

"I'll try on this green one if you don't mind."

"Of course not! Go ahead."
Muskaan took the dress and went to the bathroom and put it on. Meanwhile Vaani put in her violet dress and began doing her hair.

Downstairs Ishaan got out of his office and grabbed some stuff. Ishaan had ordered some catering and a very delicious and beautiful cake. It was Vaani's eighteenth birthday, so it had to be very special. He let the caterers in and let them do their thing. Meanwhile he hang up some of the decoration and tidied up the place. Alex went over to Ishaan.

"Oh let me help you man." He said while grabbing some of the decorations and hanging it up.

"That won't be necessary!" Ishaan snapped. Alex gave him a confused look. He wondered what he had done wrong. Ishaan hung up the rest of the decorations and went up to his room. He got ready for the evening.

"How do I look?" Muskaan asked while she went back to Vaani. Vaani looked at her aunt with big eyes. Her father would faint.

"Aunty you look drop dead gorgeous!"

"Really?" Muskaan said quite unsure checking herself in the mirror once again. She didn't know why she was so nervous and felt the need to look pretty.

"Yes trust me! Oh let me do your hair!"
Vaani said and seated Muskaan down on her vanity chair. She started putting in some loose curls in her hair. Muskaan looked at her niece. For an eighteen year old she was definitely very hyper. After she finished her hair both put on some makeup. The first guest had arrived.

"You can go, I'll be down in a minute."

"Alright then, but don't let your guest wait too long!" Muskaan giggled and went downstairs. Ishaan was standing next to the stairs waiting for Vaani. To his surprise Muskaan was walking down. He watched her carefully. He couldn't describe in words how beautiful she looked. Ishaan was amazed.

"Wow Muskaan.. you look absolutely breathtaking" Ishaan said smiling at her. Muskaan started blushing.

"T-thank you, you don't look bad yourself."

"Oh there you are Muskaan, I was looking for you, damn you look beautiful."

Muskaan looked at Alex then at Ishaan. Ishaan nod so she could leave. He sighed watching her leave. Alex took Muskaan's hand and walked over to the buffet and grabbed two drinks. Slowly every guest had arrived. The music changed when Vaani walked down the stairs. Everyone looked at her. Vaani as well looked very gorgeous. Vaani went and hugged her dad. They walked over to the cake. She took Muskaans hand and dragged her closer to her, so she was standing next to the cake with her father and Muskaan. Everyone started singing happy birthday. Vaani made a wish and blew out the candles. She wished for her father and aunt to get together and finally find their way to each other. Everyone clapped and the party began.

"May I have this dance?" Alex asked Vaani.

"Oh of course!" She said and went to dance with him. It was great, because that way Muskaan and Ishaan could spend some time alone together.
Muskaan went into the kitchen to put away her plate. Ishaan followed her.
Muskaan bumped into him on her way back.

"Oh I'm so sorry."

"All forgiven, actually I'm glad I bumped into you, I need to talk to you."

"Yes?"

Ishaan took a deep breath and looked her into her beautiful hazel eyes.

"Muskaan, I can't rest easy until I know you have forgiven me."
Muskaan looked him in the eyes as well. She had missed those chocolate brown eyes. Her heart began beating faster.

"Ishaan I wouldn't be here if I hadn't forgiven you!" She explained and tried to walk past him. Ishaan grabbed her by her wrist and stopped her from leaving. He pulled her very close to her.

"Muskaan, I have another question!"
Muskaan's heart beat so fast she was afraid it would jump right out of her chest. She tried to stay strong. Her heart and mind were giving up on her.

"W-what is it." She mumbled.

"Do you love Alex? Are you really going to marry him?"
Muskaan tried to break free from his grip, but failed.

"Ishaan what is this kind of question? Of course I love him."
Being so close to him was driving her crazy. She couldn't look him in the eyes. All the feelings she tried to get rid off were slowly coming back. She couldn't give in. She was engaged it wasn't possible.

"Something tells me you still feel the same for me." Ishaan said while slowly leaning in. Muskaan froze for a second unable to react. Lucky for her Vaani came in calling for her.

"Finally I found you, come we're going to open my presents!" Muskaan gave Ishaan a last look before rushing off with Vaani. That was a close one.

Character list is updated