Chapter 23: Family Reunion, Part 3

Inside the hotel room, Rock and Akira were gathering his and Michiko's belongings.
     "Glad we haven't faced any opposition since we got here," Rock chuckled awkwardly, he wasn't used to talking with his father.
     "Yes, it is fortunate," Akira answered simply.
     "So, um, How's Toshiro doing?" Rock asked, not really sure what to say, but wasn't sure when he'd see his father again so might as well try to make conversation.
     "Toshiro is doing well," Akira said. "He...is married now..."
     "Oh wow," exclaimed Rock. "How long now?"
     "About three years," replied Akira. "She works at his office. Her name is Sakura. They are expecting their first child in a few months. I believe they are having a daughter."
     "Wow, that's great," exclaimed Rock with genuine enthusiasm. "I'm gonna be an uncle. Never really thought about it."
     "Do you and Rebecca plan on having any children?" Akira let slip, then realizing it probably wasn't the best thing to ask given their circumstances.
     He was now blushing, something Rock didn't see often, although Rock was also blushing.
     "I'm...n-not sure," Rock stuttered. "It's not something we've discussed yet."
     "I suppose the circumstances are not ideal for that," Akira noted.
     "Yeah, not exactly," Rock said solemnly.
     This was probably the most Rock and his father had said to each other in...ever! He was always closer to his mother, even if she wasn't always as affectionate.

     "Rokuro, er...Rock," Akira started to say. "I am...I am...sorry, for how I treated you..."
     Rock was not expecting that! It was one thing for his mother to apologize, but his father was a whole different matter. Did the thought of his death really affect them that much?
     "It's ok, father..."
     Rock was then surprised by a hug from Akira.
     "No, it is not! Things have changed. When we thought you had died, we were devastated. Even Toshiro was saddened by the apparent loss."
     This definitely shocked Rock. He didn't hate his brother, but they were never close, probably because of their 5-year age difference. Either way, Toshiro was always seen as the golden child.
     "We all felt it was some kind of punishment for how we had treated you. It's no wonder you didn't try to contact us."
     "I just wanted to make sure you were safe," Rock lied, but he didn't want to admit he was indifferent to not seeing them.
     He was now hugging his father back.
     "You do not need to lie, Rock," his father surprised him with this statement. "I do not blame you. This was like a way of starting over."
     Rock now could tell his father was crying! There may have been only one-time Rock recalled his father crying, but he couldn't remember the reason behind it.
     "I hope... I hope that you can find it in your heart... to forgive us..."
     "F-f-father," Rock trembled. "I didn't think... I'd ever see you again. I honestly... had no real feelings towards it one way or the other. But... now, things are different. In a way I never thought possible. I don't know how often I'll be able to visit you and mother back in Tokyo... but I will do my best."
     "I'm very glad to hear that," Akira said. "Take care of that woman, too. She clearly cares for you deeply."
     "Trust me, I know, and I will," Rock replied, and they finished getting all their things together.

     When they made it back to the car, they saw Revy and Michiko embracing in the backseat. Revy was the first to notice and was now blushing. Once Michiko saw them she let Revy go so she could get back into the front seat. The ride back to the apartment was quiet, but it was definitely less awkward than before. As expected, there was a room they could use during the rest of their stay.
     "I hope we have some time together before we head back to Tokyo," Michiko said as Rock and Revy left their room.
     "Of course we will," Rock assured her, handing her a slip of paper. "This is the number you can call me at. Just call whenever you wake up and we'll see what we can do from there."
     Rock then gave his mother a hug.
     "Oyasuminasai, haha," Rock said, smiling lovingly.
     "Oyasuminasai, Rokuro," Michiko replied. She then gave Revy a hug. "Oyasuminasai, Revy-chan."
     Revy figured it meant goodnight but didn't dare attempt to say it back.
     "Goodnight, Michiko."