Twenty-One

A/N: listen to the song

POV: Ben

"Let us in, love!" I shout, my face pressed to the door. Why was she so spooked?! Was she afraid I'd yell at her about the picture? I was definitely not going to yell, just have a chat about it. See if it's real, or somebody photoshopped it.

"No." She said bluntly. Frowning, I sat down in front of the door and only then did I realize the hole cut out of the screen door in front of the mail slot. What the hell?

I stared up at the peephole in the door, wondering if she was looking out of it. If she was, couldn't she see that we were all worried sick, not to mention cold as fuck?! God, I was afraid there were going to be little icicles forming on the tips of my hair if we stayed out here for much longer. Maybe I could pretend to be the postman... No, stupid, it's sunset, mail doesn't get delivered at this time.

Suddenly, I thought of something. I smirked and scooted up to the mail slot and pushed it open slightly with my index finger.

"Open up little pig." I was trying to lighten the mood, but apparently it didn't work, because I got sprayed from a squirt bottle through the mail slot.

"Not by the hair on my chinny-fucking-chin." She yelled, and squirted more water out, causing me to yelp and scoot away.

"Just give up, Ben." James said, putting his hand on my shoulder. If only one of us had a k- Oh. Wow, why the fuck hadn't I thought of that?

"Shawn, don't you have the house key...?" I asked, and he looked deep in thoughgt for a second before he looked from me to Peter two times. Crap, Peter has the keys?

With a grimace, I slowly looked over to Peter, who was smirking at me, eyes narrowed and cold. For the first time since it happened, I noticed his nose, which was still purple and red, but had lightened up quite a bit... I watched as he slithered his hand into his coat pocket and pulled out a keyring, which had two small membership cards clipped to it for Target and Panera, and three shiny keys, but one was more of a gold color.

His hand dipped down before springing back up and throwing the keys at me. I kept my face cold and hard, and caught the keyring with ease. I shot him a look that basically said 'What now, bitch?' and walked over to the front door.

Bracing myself for Lacey's wrath, I pulled the screen door open with one hand and stuck the golden key into the lock on the front door, and turned it. There was a 'click' and I pressed down on the handle and pushed it open, only to be greeted with absolute darkness.

"What happened in here while we were gone...?" I heard Shawn ask, sounding like more of a question to himself then to any of us. I shuffled over to the light switch in the living room, keeping my arms out in front of me in case I ran into anything. I pressed down the switch and I was so suprised by the look of all that was lit up. All the windows were locked and there was blankets draped over them, and there was broken glass under all of them.

"Lacey!" I shouted, desperate to know if she was okay. Quickly, I ran around the corner and pounded up the stairs. I slowly, carefully opened her door, prepared for the worst. What I found was definitely unexpected. There she sat, hunched over something in her lap, shaking violently with strangled sobs escaping her lips.

I was royally pissed off. My beautiful, always happy Lacey was a frightened, sobbing mess. I quietly walked over to the bed and sat next to her, causing her to jerk up into a straighter position and scoot away, towards to head board, but she had dropped something, which I immediately grabbed.

I stared wide-eyed down at it. The picture from my bunk... Wait, what's on the back. There was a sticky substance getting on my fingers, so I flipped over the picture and was met with a long paragraph written in beautiful cursive.