5 // Gladiolus

The conversation you and Membrane had with the children lasted nearly 4 hours and finally the two of them had to get ready for the next day

The conversation you and Membrane had with the children lasted nearly 4 hours and finally the two of them had to get ready for the next day. You two hadn't realized you'd been reminiscing for so long - arguing about little details and occasionally laughing so hard at the memories that you nearly passed out. Finally the two of you were left alone, Clembrane and Foodio turning in for the night as well.

You both sat at the kitchen table, tea in each of your hands in a comfortable silence that you missed. Neither of you wanted to break the quiet, because it had been years since either had just basked in the comfort of each other's presence. You couldn't even admit it, but you'd been lonely without him.

"(Y/N)..." He had to break the silence, no matter how comforting it was. "About your work..."

"Please, Membrane you have to let me work with you." You said. "I heard from the kids how bad you were, and that you only recently began changing. You're still the same as before - this time though you didn't have me to break you from your work to get some rest. And you're famous now, no one can really say no to you..."

Membrane was biting his lip under his lab coat, digging his chin deeper into the folds of it and hiding more of his face. You knew his tendency all to well. "What is it?" You asked bluntly. "Tell me what's got you so worried and twisted up."

He finally came out with it ; "Tell me the truth then. Tell me why you want to work at Membrane Labs so badly. Why can't you go work at another company!?" His voice began growing gradually. "Why do you want to be so close to me now? Why won't you just let me rent you an apartment in another part of the city!? Why can't you let me help you without getting used to you!?"

"Because I left you by yourself to deal with the world's cruelty." You spoke softly, despite his anger. "I'm sorry... I just don't want to leave you alone again." Your voice gave a crack with each syllable. "You were my best friend, but I still left without a word."

He looked up from his fixed point on the table to see the tears begin to well in your eyes. How many years had it been since he saw you cry? Even longer than he had lost you for.

You were always upbeat; always happy... Even when your world had been falling apart, you still kept your smile. Had it been for him all that time..?

And then it occurred to him; just when had you begun changing? When had you decided to leave him alone to face the world by himself? When did you let go of his hand as you led him through his darkest times?

. . .

He had only one idea...

____________________________________________

"What do you mean they disappeared?" It was his mother.

"I - I don't know..." You muttered out, your body shaking. "They just weren't there."

His mother and father looked at one another before they placed a hand on your shoulder, "Give us a minute honey, go stay with our son for now ok?"

And with that you forced your feet to move towards his room. You didn't make it past the hallway, as he was standing there shocked and stiff.

"We have to help."

"How? Look for their family? They said that all their things were still home, not a single thing out of place."

"Maybe they went somewhere?... Kidnapped possibly?"

"They said there were no signs of struggle, and nothing was out of place. Even the keys to the car were still home."

There was a silence between the two adults.

"You don't think they abandoned (Y/N) - do you?"

You stiffened, your body then racked with trembling and your knees nearly gave out, had it not been for the two lanky arms to catch you, you would have collapsed. Your eyes snapped up to Membrane's goggles, and though you couldn't see through them, you could feel the warmth radiating off of his body and he pulled you into a tight embrace. "Everything will be alright." He whispered to you before he led the both of you to his room, closing the door tightly behind the both of you.

You were only 16 at the time. A blooming young adult with a bright future, and all of a sudden the world had gone dark on you... But you knew better - your family wouldn't have left you behind. So you decided that you would find the truth.

You would leave everything behind to find the truth, even if that included yourself.

____________________________________________

He said nothing to your confession - he couldn't, not when you poured yourself out for the first time in years - he only held his hand out for you to shake. "(Y/N)... I will let you join my company on one condition..." He said, his eyes narrowing down to a serious expression. "Promise me that we'll do this together this time. No more going it alone to solve problems that involve us both."

With wide eyes and an open mouth, your expression shifted to nearly tears as you jumped up and gave Membrane a tight hug. It had been years since you had seen your best friend, and after all this time, it was almost foreign to hug him, but it was familiar in a different way.

"I promise." You replied as you wiped the last of the sorrowful emotions from your eyes.

" You replied as you wiped the last of the sorrowful emotions from your eyes

A/N: Sorry for the super short chapter. I promise the next one's more fun UwU.