17 // Snapdragons

"Now welcoming Professor Membrane and one of his head assistants, (Y/N) (L/N)!"

Cameras flashed all about as the two of you moved down a red carpet. You thought this was going to be a Charity Gala, not some Emmy Award ceremony. Then again, with Membrane's reputation, it might as well be.

"Watch your step." Membrane said to you as he helped you over a wrinkle in the carpet.

You scoffed and chuckled. "Oh my, you're quite the gentleman in front of the cameras, aren't you?" You smirked at him teasingly.

He simply chuckled. Only for you.

It wasn't long before you made it past the paparazzi, although honestly there were several questions headed your way, almost as many as Membrane.

"What is it that you have planned for the big reveal tonight?"

"Who are you and when did you start working for Professor Membrane?"

"We've never seen you around Membrane Labs before, are you new?"

"How did you climb the ranks at Membrane Labs so quickly?"

"What's your relationship with the Professor?"

"Is it true that you're having an affair with him and using him for his money and fame?"

"Absolutely not!" You only answered the last one.

By the time you got inside the building, you had a minor headache from all the questions and flashing cameras. Membrane chuckled when he saw you lean against the wall and let out a heavy sigh. You only deadpanned and glared at him for a moment.

"How do you do it?" You mumbled. "How do you handle all that fame? I just don't get it."

He shrugged. "It's been years. I've adapted to it by now." He held his hand out for you to take. "How about we get you a drink and we can talk more about that later. Before I reveal my newest invention, I'd like you to meet a few people."

You rose an eyebrow at him. "Meet people? When did you become such a social butterfly?" You joked. He did nothing but chuckle, leading you by the hand to a group of people in the middle of the floor.

It was an extravagant place, really. The entire building was this milky cream color, chandeliers and wall lamps all across the room, a double stair case leading up the stage-like balcony. They were already setting up a large projector there for Membrane to reveal his latest invention. There was a second floor, people were mingling there as well. Windows that took up half the wall, and on the second floor you could see glass doors that led to balconies as well. The entire place was draped in red and white, a few flags hanging around the ceiling with the organization's name on it. It was like something out of a book.

"I'd like you to meet (Y/N), an old friend and colleague of mine." Oh shit, Membrane was already introducing you to someone!

You collected yourself quickly, turning to the random person who had their hand held out to you. Chuckling nervously, you shook their hand. "Hello, it's nice to meet you!"