10 // Magnolias

After lunch, the two of you went back to Membrane Labs and arrived to find that some people had blown themselves up by accident

After lunch, the two of you went back to Membrane Labs and arrived to find that some people had blown themselves up by accident. Then, when the rest of you were cleaning up, Dave came back with news that the radioactive side of the corporation was having some trouble, and basically wrenched Membrane from you. He was hesitant to leave your side, but you ushered him forward.

"They need their resident genius." You said with a lazy smirk. "I can't keep you to myself all the time."

Oh but you could have. If you'd just said the word, he would have let someone else handle it.

Then Dave took you to the side and asked you to follow him somewhere. That didn't sound creepy at all, but considering that you could trust him as far as you could throw him (which might be pretty far since he seemed fairly skinny), you still followed, with hesitance.

"What was it you wanted to show me, Dave?" You asked again.

There was a long pause as he reached some of the top layers of Membrane Labs. He nodded to the two guards standing beside the only door in front of you since reaching this floor, and the two turned their heads. That was weird... He walked forward and with a similar looking key-card that Membrane had given you, he slid it down a padlock, and the door opened.

"This." The assistant muttered, gesturing to the inside of the room.

The room was large, you knew that much, but it was so dark you could barely see anything. That was until he switched the bright lights on. You saw before you a cluttered beyond recognition room that had papers, notebooks, occasional coffee and tea stains, and photos and graphs scattered everywhere.

"Dear God..." You muttered. "What happened to this place?" You asked, taking a hesitant step into the room. "It's like - like..." You couldn't even put it into words. "Wait a minute - don't tell me-"

"It's Professor Membrane's office." Dave gave the heaviest sigh you'd heard him give today.

Taking another deep breath, you looked back out to the large disaster of an office, and laughed.

Dave gave you a side glance as you laughed at the mess before you. You truly were quite the specimen. You laughed in the face of disaster and adversity. You encouraged risky practices as long as progress was promised (as seen before when you spoke to some employees from the radioactive side of the labs). But most impressively, you managed to tame the professor. You were quite literally the perfect person for the man, and Dave was glad that you were by his side.

He'd heard about who you were and what you were like from Membrane himself. After all, the Professor was the only person left on the planet who remembered your name, besides his parents. After 15 years of working at Membrane labs, Dave was tired and wise, but battered. Still, he stayed because he'd learned who Membrane was as a person. He was the first and only person who Membrane told about you.