21 // Edelweiss

The two of you stared at each other

The two of you stared at each other. Neither of you thought you'd be baring your sides of the same tragedy to each other; especially Membrane. He thought he'd never get to see you again. Yet here you were, realizing that both of you made mistakes.

As a friend, you left him behind. As a friend, he didn't notice your turmoil. But as someone in love, both of you made the mistake of not saying something sooner.

He planned to correct that.

He lifted his goggles, shifting them to lay on his forehead instead. He had the same brown eyes as he did all those years ago, and the golden flakes at the top never dimmed, but they were clouded over with the tears he'd just shed. He wiped his eyes with his gloved hand, but pulled off the gloves just as soon, shoving them into his pocket. He took in a shaky breath and approached you, standing right in front of you, only inches away.

You stared up at him, your own eyes wide, and your mouth agape. You wanted to apologize for all the mistakes you made to him, but he didn't let you. He took your face into his metal hands and looked you in the eyes. Despite that they seemed cold, they were warm to the touch.

"Neither of us has to be sorry anymore, (Y/N)." He spoke in soft tones, causing you to feel your joints ease up. "I get it. We both messed up in our own ways, but... I've waited way to long to care about that anymore. I'm just... I'm just glad you're here."

You closed your mouth, pressing your lips into a thin line as you placed your hand over his. You chuckled breathlessly and leaned into his touch. "I'm glad to be back." You whispered, your eyes never leaving his, despite glossing over with unshed tears. He wiped them with his thumb again.

The two of you stayed like that for a little while, simply enjoying that you were truly there and that you both had a second chance. The night life and party behind you the two of you was nothing more than white noise, and the night sky sparkled with so many stars and a moon that shone a beautiful silver. You were both dragging this moment out, simply because you already knew each others answers, and to you, there was no need to rush. You didn't plan to go anywhere.

"(Y/N)." Membrane began at last, leaning down ever so slightly. "I love you."

Even though you knew he did. Even though you had known he would say it to you someday. The words coming out of his mouth meant so much to you. Just as much as it did for him coming from your mouth.

"I love you too, Mateo." You whispered back to him.

You pulled his cowl down just enough to reveal his mouth, but your eyes were trained on his. He pressed his scarred lips against yours so gently it was almost as if he hardly touched you at all. So many years and he was still so patient with you. Sometimes you wondered what you'd done to ever deserve someone like him. You kissed him back nonetheless, both of your eyes closing, but you were always the daring type. You pulled on his cowl to jerk him down a little further, deepening the shy kiss.

He was startled, but the hands that held your face slowly snaked their way around your waist, pulling you closer so your body pressed against his and closed the already small gap. You wrapped your arms around his neck, at last he was getting comfortable, despite not really knowing what he was doing.

He pulled away, Membrane's face so red that he couldn't keep up. He let out a breathless chuckle, obviously nervous. His shyness was showing again. You smiled at him, gentle but still teasing.

"I kept you waiting a long time. I thought this was the least I could do." You received a less embarrassed smile from him as he placed his forehead against yours.

"This was more than enough." He muttered, relaxing against you. "I... I never thought... I'm so... I just..." He was speechless. Despite being happy that you were back. Despite being happy that you loved him back... He couldn't help but feel those waves of extreme sorrow from his youth flow back over him in waves.

He cried nearly silent tears, the droplets flowing from his eyes, his breathing shaky. You wiped each one away individually; the smile on your face never leaving, even as your eyes apologized time and time again. "I'm not leaving, Goggles. I promise to never leave you alone like that again." You spoke, comforting him as he crumpled in your grasp, leaning down to lay his head on your shoulder.

You hummed a familiar tune as he wrapped his arms around you, holding you like it was the end of the world.

As long as he was here as he was, so were you.

This aesthetic was brought to you by @skeletondemon3 here on Wattpad!

A/N: OOF super short chapter, but this was just the confession scene, so I hope ya'll are satisfied despite that it was short. UwU I decided to update today because it was my birthday, so I've just been publishing everything I've been holding back for all my stories lol.