Chapter 1

I sat in my new office, trying to avoid the worried looks. I was officially taking over the Detroit money laundering case, and I was replacing Agent Turner, one of the best in Detroit. Or was. The other agents here at this location weren't feeling me. I got it. I had tattoos, piercings, and dark features. I was Italian, and my body modifications were not visible outside of my daily suit. So what was the real reason they looked at me like that? I was a good cop. I had been in law enforcement for almost ten years, the FBI for almost five. I had busted over thirty hardcore criminals in that five years, and I couldn't even count how many douche bags I helped put away before that.

The chief of this particular location had new plans for this case. Agent Turner tried the straightforward approach. It got him killed. This time we were diving further into the undercover method, which they tried in a less dangerous pathway; however, he left. He got too...attached. I wouldn't. My job was my life, and I could never let it go down in flames like that. So I swore I would do what I had to to get this guy. My only family was locked in a padded cell, so it's not like I had much to lose.

When I hear a knock at my door, I see my new boss Ron Mitchell standing there. Ron seemed alright for a middle-aged, clearly privileged male. He handed me a coffee and sat down across from me, and let out a sigh.

"You get settled in okay, Andy?" He asked. I nodded with a quick smile.

"Yeah, I am all unpacked," I said, meaning my apartment and office.

"You know, UC is not something I recommend here. I know you have been doing it in Chicago, but..." He blurts out, adjusting his tie. I smile, looking down at the case files on my desk.

"I get that, but I am a 'go big or go home' kind of gal," I answered. He nodded and pursed his lips.

"Alright, well, they are all waiting in there for ya." He said as he got up and buttoned his navy blue dress jacket. I nodded as he walked out, then got my files in order.

"Let's do this," I say as I smooth my form-fitting suit out and shove my long dark hair behind my ears. I hear my Gucci heels clank against the shiny concrete floor and feel eyes on me. I kept my head up and pushed through the conference door.

"Alright, I am going to shut up and let Ms. Lorenzo take over from here. She is going to fill you in on the new course of action." Ron says while stepping over, making room for me in front of the podium.

"Good Morning. I want to thank you all for the...patience you have had with us over in Chicago. We understand this has been a very trying case, and we are doing everything we can to diminish the crime line between us and here. I have been working over the past eight months in establishing a name for myself in the east side of Chicago's money laundering and drug distribution gang. I have successfully infiltrated their organization and am now working to take down the Detroit sector. I am not saying it will be easy. I realize this case has taken lives. It has destroyed lives. But I can assure you; I will not stop until they are permanently shut down." I said as I was interrupted by a gentleman in the back.

"What about Beth Boland?" He asks, with his notepad in his hand.

"We currently have Ms. Boland and Leo Torres, also known as Rio and also goes by the civilian alias Christopher, under hidden surveillance. I am not so much concerned with Ms. Boland as I am Rio however, Rio is harder to watch as you all have learned." I answered.

"So, how will you infiltrate this sector?" Another man asked.

"I cannot give specifics, but I am here on official business for the Chicago gang. My meeting with Rio is tonight. Please sign and date the confidentiality agreement that is in your folder. We need those back by the end of the hour." I said, watching as they looked up at me. "We are going to catch this guy, I promise you," I said, not fully believing myself.