Chapter 17

Chapter 17

The honeymoon was a nice break. I needed a break from a life of crime. I also needed a break from the extra bullshit like Rio not trusting my brother or vice versa. We stayed on a resort in Maui, Hawaii, and it was nice to be normal for once. I knew once we got back to Detroit, we would be back to business as usual. Rio had told Mick and the others that we were only to be called in case of an emergency. Of course, we called Marcus several times and bought him as many gifts as we would be allowed to bring back on the flight home. It was funny to come out of the suit bathroom in skimpy two pieces and seeing Rio's face completely fall. Depending on his mood, it either started a small fight, or us ending up back in bed. We got drunk at every bar on the resort, came tumbling in around four am every morning, fucked if we weren't too wasted, slept then woke up, ate like royalty, laid out in the sun, then put that whole routine repeat for the entire week. It was glorious.

Our flight back home got in around nine p.m., and Mick was waiting in one of our black Escalates. He and Rio talked in the front seat. I stayed in the back and started catching up on my part of the job. Tia was still having issues with Don in New Jersey, even though Rio strictly told him to cool it with the pg behavior. I groaned and pinched the bridge of my nose. Rio slightly looked behind him to the back seat where I was sitting.

"What's the wrong, darlin'?" He asked.

"Don is still chasing after Tia. Poor woman can't do a simple drop without him slapping her ass. It's bullshit, and it needs to stop." I said as I started to text Tia back. I wasn't allowed to specifically say I would stick a gun barrel down his throat because you never know, especially since the feds had such a hard-on for Rio. But fuck, I had to let her know I would handle it. Rio growled.

"Baby, what do you want me to do? Don is a piece of shit. What can you do?" Rio said, texting on his phone as Mick pulled onto the highway.

"Either you handle it, or I will drive my ass to Jersey and handle it myself. Tia should not have to deal with this shit in 2020, for fucks sake." I hissed. Rio and Mick looked at each other and smiled.

"Oh, you can handle it, huh?" Rio joked. I eyed him and scoffed.

"You don't think I can?"

"Oh no, I know you can hold your own. But Don is a six-foot-four Italian. You're a five foot three, barely one hundred pounds Italian. See the discrepancy?" Rio joked. I leaned forward and put my hand on his seat.

"Excuse me? I am five foot five, and I weigh one hundred and thirty pounds." I said. Rio laughed and turned to me.

"No, you're not! There is no way you're one-thirty." Rio said as he crossed his leg over his knee.

"Want to bet?" I asked. He shook his head, still laughing. "Okay, if you won't take care of it, I will," I said as I pulled out my phone and called Dennis, Don's right hand.

"Yeah?" Dennis answered.

"Yeah, Dennis, it's Andy Moretti," I said, remembering the Jersey boys didn't know about my real last name. Rio tensed his jaw. He clearly didn't think I was serious.

"Yes, Ms. Moretti. I hear you're a married woman now?" Dennis says.

"That's right. Hey, listen, we have some new policies and procedures to go over with you guys, and we will need you to head this way. Can we get a meeting with Don next week?" I asked.

"Yeah, we can swing that. How's next Thursday around seven p.m. we will meet yous at the warehouse." Dennis said as I smiled.

"Sounds good. See you then." I said as I hung up the phone. Rio shook his head and tensed his jaw. He was pissed. "What?" I asked as he turned his head to eye me.