Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I looked in the bathroom mirror and shakily started putting my mascara on. I tried to keep my cool today, but I hadn't seen my brother in over three years. At one point, he just stopped wanting me to visit with him. I wasn't sure how I would break it to him that I was now living a life of crime and not trying to deplete it. I knew my brother well, and it could go either way. He always had a temper on him, but it got...darker after seeing our parents get murdered.

I carefully coated my long black lashes and saw Rio standing in the bathroom doorway, his hands in his pockets. That look on his face when he eyes me intensely, his eyelids low. It gave me chills every time, even almost six months later. I smiled at him and re-coated my mascara brush.

"So he's gettin' out today, huh?" Rio asked in that suggesting tone. I lightly sighed.

"Yeah, why? You have that look..." I said. He shrugged.

"Nothin'. Just askin'. Where's he stayin'?" He asked suddenly.

"With us, of course." His eyes widened, and he chuckled.

"You're not serious, baby. I can't have a civilian that's not playin' the game in on my dealings." Rio hissed, squinting his eyes at me. I rolled my eyes.

"Rio, he's not gonna rat on us. I am gonna explain everything to him on the drive back. He will understand." I said, not fully believing my own words. I honestly had no idea how he would react, but I couldn't lie to him. Rio bit his lip and nodded.

"Okay." He said, leaving the bathroom. Rio was always cautious about his business. I knew this would be hard for him, trusting an outsider. But he was my brother, which made him Rio's family too. My brother might be pissed about what I have been up to lately, but no way in hell would he ever rat.

I walked into the walk-in closet and put on my ripped-up skinny jeans with a tight Mary Jane style black halter top. I zipped up my knee-high boots with three-inch heels. It was almost eighty degrees out today, so I skipped a jacket. I went downstairs and saw Rio, Mick, and a couple other crew members cleaning their guns on the dining room table.

"Morning, fellas," I said as I headed over to the coffee pot. I poured a to-go cup I had on the shelf and put my usual creamer in. They all nodded, and Mick smiled a rare smile.

"Alright, let's see it," Mick said as he leaned back in his chair. I smiled as I took a sip of my coffee and walked over to him to extend my hand. He nodded. "Damn homie, she's gonna fall over," Mick said as I giggled.

"I did good, huh?" Rio said as he put his clip back in. I smiled and sat on his lap.

"Yes, you did," I said as I kissed him, not caring if I made the other guys feel weird. We both snapped ourselves out of it, and I got back up. "I'll be back later. I have a meeting with Tia today after I pick Jason up. We're meeting in Oakwood at four." I said as I grabbed my wallet and keys while shoving on my aviator sunglasses.

"Take Eddie and Reid," Rio said. I rolled my eyes. "Don't argue. I want someone watchin' your back." Rio finished as he concentrated on texting someone on his phone.

"Fine. See you later." I said, slightly annoyed. The Connor incident made Rio a little twitchy about me doing business alone.

"Love you," Rio called after me, as a way of saying, please don't be mad.

"Love you," I said, smiling slightly as I closed the door behind me.

I nervously waited in the Pine Oak Living Facilities waiting room. I saw an elderly couple staring at my tattoos, and I smiled. They smiled back surprisingly. Just then, I saw the wide double doors open, and my baby brother walked through. He looked the same, skinny but the same. He had dark brown hair, almost black like mine. He looked like my dad while I looked like my mom, but we still had a striking resemblance. I stood up and smiled. He gave me a weak smile and hugged me back when I took him into my arms. His hair was long and almost to his shoulders, but he had it back in a ponytail.