Spies

Monroe's pov

"I'm sorry I'm late I was-" Before I could make any excuses, I could see Tony has made himself rather comfortable on the couch with his suit. He could be more... respectable. "What the- what is that? You're wearing this in the house now...? What is that like Mark 15?"

"Uhh yeah. Something like that. You know everybody needs a hobby."

"And you have to wear your hobby in the living room?" I ask playfully while slipping off my heels.

"Just breaking it in you know? It's always a little pinchy in the gooey bag at first." A laugh escapes my lips as the suit makes its way toward me. "Hey! Did you see your Christmas present?"

"Yes, I did. I don't know how I could've missed... that Christmas present. Is it gonna fit through the door?" I picked up some drawings sitting on a stand next to me. Most of them consisted of the tin can himself. One caught my eye, however, causing me to smile brightly. I didn't realize I had fans of my own since New York's big incident.

"Well, actually that's a good question. I got a team of guys coming tomorrow. They're gonna blow out that wall. So uhh... tense good day. Huh?" I set the drawings down once cool metal made contact with my shoulders. "Ooo shoulders. A little knotty. Naughty girl." Is that a pun? "I don't wanna harp on this, but do you like the custom rabbit?"

"Did I like it?"

"Nailed it, right?"

"Wow. I... appreciate the thought. Very much." I turned to face the suit and stood up. Let's find out if Tony Stark really is under this mask. I glide my fingers gently up the metal and lean inches away from the head. "So why don't you lift up that face mask and give me a kiss?"

"Ping pong. Beep beep. Huh. Yup. Dammit. No can do."

"Uh-huh," I knew it. He's not actually up here.

" You wanna just kiss on the-...the facial slit?"

"Why don't I run down to the garage and see if I can find a crowbar to jimmy that thing open?" I leave with a rather seductive tone. Leaving the suit behind and heading downstairs to meet his true form. The hollow suit follows as I make my way downstairs. Pull-ups. That's what he'd rather do?

"Busted."

"This is a new level of lame." I push away a plate of food that's offered from one of Tony's robots.

"Sorry."

"You ate without me? On date night?"

"He was just-" Tony refers to the suit.

"You mean you."

"Well, yeah. I just mean we- we're just hosting you. While I finished up a little work. And yes I had a quick bite and I didn't know if you were coming home or you were... having drinks with Aldrich Killian."

The suit turns to me as if it had a mind of its own. "What?" I ask in disbelief. "Aldrich Killian? What, are you checking up on me?"

"Happy was concerned."

"No, you're spying on me."

"I'm not."

"Okay fine. What about your anxiety attack? I was there, Tony. You're supposed to tell me about these things. Why are you hiding away?"

"It's not a big deal."

"Not a big- no, you know what I'm going to bed." I harshly turned and ignored his attempts to stop me from heading upstairs.

"Jess... Hey, I admit it! My fault. Sorry." I stopped in my tracks and turned back around. "I'm a piping hot mess." I slowly made my way back down. "It's been going on for a while and I haven't said anything. Nothing's been the same since New York."

"Oh really? I didn't notice that. At all." I respond with a sarcastic tone.

"You experience things. Then they're over and you still can't explain them? Gods, aliens, other dimensions... you. I'm just a man in a can. The only reason I haven't cracked up is probably because you moved in. Which is great. I love you. I'm lucky, but honey... I can't sleep. You go to bed, I come down here I do what I know. I tinker. A threat is imminent and I have to protect the one thing I can't live without. That's you. And my suits they're uhh... they're a part of me."

I walk up to Tony who is now leaning on the rails surrounding the platform to test his suits. Once close enough, he leaned his head on my chest while wrapping his arms around me. My hands raked through his hair and found the headset he was wearing, gently pulling it off. Setting it down, I moved my hands to caress his face.

"I'm gonna take a shower," I started.

"Okay."

I let my hands glide down to intertwine with is. I walked back, pulling him with me. Forming a soft smile, I add, "And you're gonna join me."

"Better."

I've longed for a moment like this with Tony. It had been a while since we could act as the couple we are. He's been up countless nights, tinkering and stressing. Now that we're finally alone and together we can enjoy the intimacy we've been lacking. I only hope that the release can help him relax enough for him to sleep tonight. 

Time Skip

Tony's grunts jolted me awake. My body felt tense and I instantly knew this feeling wasn't mine. Images made itself into my head, but I suppressed them.

"Tony?" I lightly shake him. I can feel the sweat forming on his back as I caressed it. The grunts only grew more aggressive. "Tony? Tony!" 

I was suddenly forced to turn around, staring at one of the new suits. It had gone rogue. Tony must've heard my yelp and immediately stood up. 

"Power down!" Tony demanded. In one movement, Tony acted out a slashing motion which caused the suit to fall apart. I raised my hand to the lamp, making it light up. Still processing what just happened, I sat up and held the sheets tightly as I rested my head against the headboard. Both of us held a shocked expression."I must've called it in my sleep. That's not supposed to happen. I'll recalibrate the sensors. Can we just uhh- just let me catch my breath."

"It's not your fault, Tony," I said still trying to catch my own breath.

"I-It is. I shouldn't have-"

"Tony, stop." I crawled over to him and wrapped my arms around his form. I let my fingers barely make contact with his temples. Tony let his lids fall and exhaled deeply as I calmed him using a little energy.

'It's not your fault'