Worthy

Monroe's pov

After the quinjet landed back in Avengers Tower, Barton was rushed to medical attention with Nat and Dr. Cho. Steve was still packing up a few things before exiting the jet as I waited for Tony to shut it down and secure it. I'm sure I was staring, but with his focus fixated on screens and buttons, Stark hadn't taken notice. He seemed relaxed, but his aura read differently. Our attention was brought back to Hill with a set of rather interesting words.

"Lab's all set up, boss"

"Actually he's the boss," Tony gestured to Cap. "I just pay for everything and make everyone look cooler."

"What's the word on, Strucker?" I followed Steve out to Agent Hill. I was curious as to who the unknowns were.

"NATO's got him."

"The two enhanced?" Rogers investigated.

"Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Twins." Maria handed him a tablet as I leaned closer to watch the screen. Their faces popped up along with an image of destruction. "Orphaned at ten when a shell collapsed their apartment building."

"They're just kids..." I stated as we walked down the ramp of the quinjet.

"Sokovia's had a rough history. It's nowhere special, but it's on the way to everywhere special." She continued.

"Their abilities?" he pried.

"He's got increased metabolism and improved thermal homeostasis. Her thing is neuroelectric interfacing, telekinesis, mental manipulation." Maria finished as we waited for the elevator.

Steve held a dumbfounded expression so I simplified it, "He's fast and she's weird." Although she and I are one in the same, weird suits me more than it does her. I'm a mixture of chemicals and mutated genes. He nodded in understanding and clarified that they'll show up again. That, of course, we had no doubt. The elevator rang as it opened up.

"File says they volunteered for Strucker's experiments. It's nuts." I chuckled entering the elevator with Steve as we shared a glare.

"What kind of monster would let a German scientist experiment on them to protect their country." He smirked turning back to the agent. Who knew he had it in him. Sarcasm from the old man, that's quite somethin'.

"We're not at war, Captain." Hill declared.

"They are." I defended right as the doors slammed shut. My small smile began to fade and replaced itself with a look of sorrow. Tony's manipulated vision really stuck with me. Sure it wasn't real, but it was feared to be real. All of that weight on his shoulders, carrying guilt for the rest of his life. How could he feel so responsible of the consequences? I couldn't bear the idea that he would blame himself if something ever went wro-

"Monroe?"

"Hmm?" I snapped out of thought.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah."

The second the doors split open, I walked over to the medical area where Barton was being held. I walked in on some new technical stuff spraying out on his injury. Nat had a close eye on him and I was eager to know how the machine was working. Tony's nerdiness is contagious.

"Are you sure he's gonna be okay?" She asked Helen, who was controlling the machinery. I smiled at her genuine concern. "Pretending to need this guy really brings the team together." Or... not concerned?

"There's no possibility of deterioration. The nanomolecular functionality is instantaneous. His cells don't know they're bonding with simulacra." Dr. Cho explained. Banner and I shared excitement at how the tissue is literally being created under our noses. Something that was never thought to be possible. Wow, three years really turned me into the geek Tony is. Speaking of which...