Chapter Eight: The Hospital

I wake up to Creep running towards me. He jumps up and punches me before women in white gowns take him away. I think it was some weird nightmare. I don't know how long I was out. But when I woke up, it was 7:30 pm. After lying for a while with my eyes closed, I sit up groggily and groan when I have a sudden headache.
"She's up!" I hear Aunt Gracie shout.
I look beside me and see Aunt Gracie, Randy, and Bob.

"What're you two doing here? Where's the gang?" I ask.
"We wanted- needed to see you, to make sure you're okay," Bob says.
"They're at the rumble," Randy tucks a few strands of hair behind my ear.
"They're at the rumble?" I repeat, they nod, "And you aren't?"
"We didn't wanna fight," Bob tells me.
"Good," I smile, "I'm glad you aren't fighting."

"He's not dead," Bob says, I knew he meant Creep, "Just hurt, he's in this hospital right now. He'll be fine though. I kinda wish he wasn't. He was a lousy friend. Y'know, when he learned you and your buddies were here, he went on a rampage. Came straight to your room and tried to hurt you. He managed to lay one on you before the nurses could stop him. They're saying that you're most likely not gonna get charged with anything, and he's gonna get charged with sexual and aggravated assault. We're all pleading that it was self defense. Plus, he's not dead. It's The People Vs. Him. If anything, Randy and I are gonna get fined. I'm okay with it though. My parents finally yelled at me. For the first time in my life, they yelled at me. For getting drunk, for letting him touch you, for speeding, for everything I've ever done."

I saw the relief wash over him.
"No one ever tells you no, huh?" I ask, "It's never your fault?"
"I got so drunk one night, and my parents didn't get mad at me. They thought it was something they'd done. When my dad yelled at me, I actually felt something," Bob grins, making me happy. He holds my hand and looks into my eyes.
"Wow," I smile, squeezing his hand, "I guess it's a happy ending for us all, huh?"

"Y/N!" I heard a faint shout, "Y/N!" It keeps repeating.
I see a beaten up Dally, Johnny, and Ponyboy rush into my hospital room.
They didn't look too bad, just bruised with a cut or two.
"We won!" Johnny shouts gleefully, "We did it! We beat the socs!"
"We did it for you, Y/N!" Ponyboy hugs me tight. It hurts a little, but I don't say anything. It's nice to be hugged.

"Y/N, we won!" Dally cheers.
"You guys did it!" I grin up at them, "Of course you did! Hey, do y'all know when I'll be let out?"
"They said tomorrow, but you'll have to be on bed rest for a week or two," Randy says.
"What are they doing here?" Dally looks grossed out.
"They were here for me when I woke up," I look at them and smile, then motion between Bob and Johnny.

"Um, Johnny," Bob speaks up, "I-I wanna apologies a-about jumping you... twice. I'm sorry. And Ponyboy, I'm sorry about the fountain. I swear, it was my last time ever hurting a greaser- I mean... a person. Nothing can ever take back what I did... and I'm sorry."
"Well it's about time," Johnny smirks.
It's the first time I've seen Johnny talk like that to a soc, even from before I moved.
The rest of the gang piles into the room, and nurses are very alarmed. They help clean the boys' cuts and bruises.

It was my first time seeing the rest of the gang and they all took turns hugging me.
"I couldn't imagine losing you," Soda holds my hand, "I-I couldn't."
"It's okay, Pepsi-Cola," I smile.
"Hey, don't you go makin' him cry," Darry scolds. Only he was smiling while saying this. One of those, 'I-would-definitely-kill-you-if-I-didn't-love-you-to-death' kinda smiles.
"Okay, okay," Steve interrupts, pushing through the Curtis brothers, "There's my Y/N. Look at that beautiful smile."

"Hi, Doll," Two-Bit looks down at me, hugging me close to his chest. "Don't you dare ever do that again. The gang wouldn't be able to function without you. I wouldn't be able to."
"Y/N, I know you're on bed rest, but I couldn't bare going into your room while you were missing," Aunt Gracie says, "The paint and fumes are still in there, I didn't air it out. And your furniture still isn't here."
"So I'll have to sleep on the couch?" I ask.

"Or she can stay with us," Darry offers, "In the spare bedroom."
"We have a spare bedroom?" Soda and Pony ask in unison.
"Wait, wait, wait," Sodapop says, "If we have another bedroom, how come Pony and I share a room?"
"Because it was a really girly room that Mom and Dad decorated when they thought Ponyboy was a girl. They told me I could have it when I was older. But I never changed it because it was the last thing that they fully made," Darry explains.

"Thank you Darry," I side-hug him. I look at Johnny, Dally, and Ponyboy, "How long were you guys here?"
"Only one afternoon," Johnny says, "You were a real hero. You pushed us out the window. Then a piece of wood fell on your foot, which is burned, but'll heal. Dally rushed in and pulled you out. No one was badly burned. And we're all used to a little smoke."
"Nicotine, Johnnycake, not fire," Ponyboy rubs his shoulder, to which Johnny shrugs.