Chapter 23

"Hey, Zane", Sean says and I turn towards him. "Earlier, I couldn't smell Caitlin's blood..." He looks thoughtful, I can imagine that he is. Her blood is different and I don't know whether it's good or bad...
"I also noticed that!", Carter says and all the boys nod, they had all realised.
"Yeah, I can't smell it too. It's strange, right?", I answer and pour a can of cider into a glas.
"Strange?", Ryder calls out. "Try fascinating."
"But it's a good thing - you don't desire her blood the same way.", Sean confirms, always in a positive mood.
"Yeah, but the thing is, I do. I want to find out how it tastes since I can't smell it, you know?"
"Yeah.", Ryder answers, but I don't think he understood what I meant.

"Have anyone of you experienced anything similar? Know something?", I ask, excited to maybe find out what I have puzzled over for so long.
"No, never.", Carter answers quietly.
"Well, if you find something, would you please tell me?", I ask and swallow a sip of cider.
"Yes, of course.", Carter says. "I'll check with my contacts and try to find something."
"Thanks."

***

There are people everywhere I turn. An overwhelming percentage of my mansions' visitors are waisted. They are dancing wild in the flashing lights - moving their bodies to the high-thumping music and wishing that tomorrow will never arrive.

There are empty beer cans all over the floor and the swimming pool is crowded with partying guests.They jump into the pool hysterically laughing, even though they don't have bathing suits, causing the water to splash in every direction and wet everyone close by. And just for tonight they have never been happier.

***

I finally have the chance to introduce Caitlin and Aubrey to each other. I want them get along even though it might seem like a bad idea since Aubrey still have feelings for me. I've probably overestimated the whole situation, but it's just that I want it to happen so bad.
"I want you to meet a friend of mine.", I say and stand close to her beautiful body.
"Yeah, who?", Caitlin asks curiously and smiles at me as if there's nothing more natural in the world to do.
"Aubrey." I sense some jealousy in her blue eyes, and I'm not sure if I like it or not.
"Oh okay.", she simply replies, trying not to sound anxious. But I can almost imagine her questioning thoughts.
"Great, so stay here and I will go find her." She nods and I kiss her soft on the forehead. "I will be right back."

I go between the crowds and search for Aubrey's fine face, but I can't see her. The people I pass by is dancing or talking with a drink of alcohol in their hands - but none of them are Aubrey.

Suddenly a young woman throws herself over me and takes a grip of my arm.
"You're Zane Ashford!", she says overjoyed and looks at me like I'm the most good-looking man in the world. She's pretty - dark hair and big green eyes. I'm guessing she has been drinking beer for her breath smells like it has been taken over by it.
"You are so hot.", she says and admires my flawless face.
"And you are so drunk.", I answer and she laughs. I lift her arms away from mine, smile at her and go ahead to continue looking.
"Call me!", she shouts from behind me and I just smirk, what else can I do?

"Hey, Carter!", I shout out as I approach and he turns around in the crowd of people.
"What's up?", he asks.
"Have you seen Aubrey? I can't find her.", I ask. I'm actually starting to think that I won't find her anywhere and I feel disappointed.
"Unfortunately no. I haven't seen her the past hour. If she has left it's sad because as you can see, I'm still here.", he says in his sarcastic voice.
"I guess she found someone better, and that couldn't have been hard.", I answer ironic, he mutters and I laugh teasing. "If she has left I don't expect her to come back anytime soon. She might not return at all, so if I was you I would find someone else.", I explain.
"That, I will do! No doubt about it!", he says firmly and sips the last beer.