Chapter 35

Caitlin runs out of the apartment and down the stairs crying out of chock. I leave Cedrick behind and rush after her to explain.
I want to tell her everything but it will completely change the way she sees me. Unfortunately I have reached a point when I have explain the situation if I want her to ever talk to me again.

Caitlin runs towards her parked car, she's shaking out of fear and I whizz past her. I block the car door and she looks at me in a new way - like I'm a monster.
"Please Caitlin. Just let explain everything.", I beg, aware of her scared body language.
"Get away from me!", she cries and starts to run the other way, trying to get as far away from me as possible.
She picks up her phone and start dialing, I appear in front of her.
"Caitlin. Give me the phone.", I order calm because I can't let her call anyone. I can't let her leave like this, having seen what happened to her father and thinking that I'm a murderer.
"No." She's brave. Maybe she believes deep down that it's still me, the guy she has fallen in love with.
"Caitlin, give it to me.", I say strict because I know all the risks. No human can know about vampires, it's against the law. So, for the first time when I'm with her I lose control of my appearance. I feel my face getting taut, causing my skin to look speckled and fragile.
She freezes when she sees it and immediately hands me her phone. I take a deep breath, calming myself down so that my face becomes normal again.

"Caitlin, please.", I say and she refuses to look at me, probably afraid of the way I look. My feelings are so mixed - I'm both angry at myself and still so sorry and upset.
"Your face, it was...", she utters quietly.
"Ugly, fragile, scary?" She shakes her head, admiring my face.
"No.", she answers, "just different."

"Does it hurt?", Caitlin asks.
"What do you mean?", I wonder and she stares at my shoulder where I was stabbed by her father. The cloth of my blue shirt is red of blood.
"No.", I answer sincerely, it doesn't hurt at all anymore. "It has already healed." She looks at me confused, she doesn't understand.
"What are you?", Caitlin suddenly asks, wondering the name of my inhuman existence. I let it all out in one exhalation:
"I'm a vampire."

***

We sit down on the nearest park bench to talk and Caitlin avoids all questions about me being a vampire. Her mind doesn't seem to accept the concept. For her, this all seems like a deep dream that she just can't wake up from.

I gently put my hand on her cheek and make her look at me, every inch of her pretty body is trembling.
"It's still me.", I utter and she looks a little frightened. I see the reflection of myself in her watered eyes.

"Zane, I'm scared.", Caitlin confesses and carefully places her hand on top of mine before pulling them down to her lap. Our touch makes her less scared, I can easily feel it. But sadly this new picture of me will always be in her memory.
"You don't have to be." My voice is soothing and relaxing. "I never meant for this to happen and I'm so sorry."

"Are you scared of me?", I ask.
"I don't know, a little, I guess.", she answers truthfully.
"You know, I will never harm you."
"You promise?", she asks and squeezes my hand tighter.
"You have my word.", I respond and glimpse a small twist on her precious lips, a twist that looks a lot like a careful beginning of a smile.

***

We sit on the park bench for a long time and I try to explain everything for her. She doesn't ask questions or move an inch, she just sits there and looks at me while I'm taking.

I tell her everything: That I'm 328 years old and that I will live until I'm 5000. The fact that I don't age in appearance and feed on human blood.
I explain the war between vampires and werewolves and in that way, her fathers purpose in killing me and the mystery of all the police men being murdered. I assure her that we will keep her father imprisoned without harming him. I also mention my hatred for him by telling her that he made sure that my family was murdered.
Though I avoid telling her that she might become a werewolf since she won't be able to handle it after getting to know all this.

***

"Are you okay?", I ask concerned.
"Yes.", Caitlin responds, "I'm fine."
"Are you sure?", I wonder. How can she be fine after hearing all this? I thought she would be freaking out and shaking out of fear, but I feel her pulse - it's as calm as a small river.
"Yes. You don't scare me anymore.", she answers relief, "I trust you." She smiles bright and wide.

"I love you, Caitlin Rhodes.", I confess and look at her, the fear is gone and she looks back at me in the way she always have - like I'm the guy of her dreams.
"And I love you, Zane Ashford.", she answers and we rise from the bench. I close my arms around her body in a hug from behind. I feel her heart pulse rising and I relax as I smell the scent of her cologne.
"I'm sorry for everything.", I whisper in her ear.
"Don't be. I forgive you.", she answers and now I'm the one happily smiling because I know now that if our love is strong enough to survive this, then there's nothing stopping it. Our love is without doubts immortal.