Chapter 27

"What do you think?", Caitlin asks, stepping out from the fitting room.
"You're beautiful.", I easily answer.
"But how do I look in this dress?", she continues and spins a lap so that I see every part of the blue dress.
"Still beautiful.", I answer honest and she looks at me smiling.
"I'm not sure... I think I liked the red one better." I roll excessively with my eyes and she giggles. "I'm sorry I just want it to be perfect." I rise from the armchair that is placed in front of the fitting room, go up to her and grab her soft hands.
"It will be, and I assure you, you will look beautiful in all of the dresses. And as promised I will behave, so your father will approve me. Don't worry.", I tell her and kiss her on the forehead.

One of the clothing store workers walks up to us with a pleasant facial expression.
"Here's the dress you asked for Mr. Ashford.", she says and hands me a
violet dress. I take it and quickly look at her name tag.
"Thank you, Melissa." She walks away and I hold up the dress for Caitlin so that she can see how it looks. "So, do you want to try this one?" Her jaw has dropped and she stares at it as if it is a diamond.
"Are you kidding me? Zane that's a Chanel dress! It costs more than my apartment!", she says elated and acts like a crazy person.
"Yes I know that it's Chanel.", I say and she carefully puts her hand on it. "You said you wanted the dinner to be perfect so I thought that it would be a great opportunity for me to finally spoil you a little."
"A little? Zane, this dress is extremely expensive...", she utters happily, "and stunning."
"Go on, try it." She hesitates, then finally takes the violet Chanel dress and goes inside the fitting room, smiling like a child on christmas.

"You aren't worried about meeting my father, are you?", Caitlin wonders from inside and I hear the sound of the zipper when she gently pulls it up.
"I don't think I am.", I reply, "I'm more concerned about you though."
"When my mother died, our entire lives suddenly changed. He prioritized me over everything and we grew closer. He's the only one I got, so what he thinks is very important to me.", she confirms, "So, enough with the sad-talk, it makes us depressed."
Caitlin steps out of the fitting room wearing the violet dress and I think I see happiness shining in her eyes.
"You look incredibly gorgeous."