The Offer

Kai's POV

"Earth to Kai. " A voice interrupts my daydream.

My philosophy professor was looking at me as if he was waiting for some type of confirmation. Completely blank I gave him a puzzled look.

"Kai, could you share your answer to the question ?" He must have realized that I didn't know what question he was referring to.

"Question #2 from the test?" He said pointing to our last exam paper that somehow must have been magically teleported on my desk. I got an A, something of a miracle in his class but I was too stressed to care about it.

After giving my answer, he seemed satisfied and left me alone for the rest of the lecture. When class was finished I was almost the first one out the door before my professor called me back.

"Are you ok? You don't seem concentrated on today's lecture as you would normally, is everything ok ?, I would hate to see a bright young mind such as yourself be wasted." He tells me.

I would hardly get my thoughts together. I have been dreading April 28th since I got that letter, it feel like  I'm going to be visited by the angel of death on this very day.

After reassuring my professor that everything was fine. I left the college campus to get an early bus so I would reach my appointment at Storm Industries on time.

Can you call this an appointment? I didn't ask for an appointment it just sprung on me out of nowhere!

According to ever trusty Google, The Storm Group aka Storm Industries (some sort of multi-conglomerate owned and run by Johnathan Storm and his wife Julia) owns the casino that my dad gambled at. I still didn't have a clear read on the company of the family that owned it. From my water-downed self-explanation, the company operates mainly in manufacturing but they had smaller dealings in medical research and unfortunately for me gambling.

They had a son, but I was too lazy to google him. According to my research, the family is a big deal in elite businesses across the world.

These people were worth 11.3 billion US dollars, so it didn't make sense why they would want to see me about some loan my dad borrowed that was practically pocket change to them. Literally, they could let this slide. Then again my dad had managed to their casino into thinking he had two million dollars, I would reason that would draw their attention.

After a 45 minutes bus ride, my google maps still showed me had to walk 15 minutes more to get the address on the letter.

Ten minutes later my phone died, stupid phone it wasn't the most modern smartphone but a smartphone nonetheless. I give up on trying to turn it back on and head on the same path.

I couldn't get lost any further right? Deciding that it wouldn't be in my best interests to piss these people off, I asked for directions so I'd arrive on time.

A few socially awkward moments of me asking for directions later, I reach a skyscraper with the name Storm Industries written in bold letters at the front entrance.