8. Laura Marks *

8. Laura Marks

The sentries led them through a small settlement. The roads were asphalt, trees and houses lined either side, and more of these strange people milled in the yards. A group of children played  with a ball in the street ahead. They paused their game to let the small group pass. Coy wished they hadn't stopped their game. She wanted to watch them play.

Eventually, the group came to the largest house at the end of cul-de-sac. As soon as they stepped on the grass a small group of people came out to meet them.

"Dredan Lester Kemp!" An older grey haired woman rushed from behind the group. "It really is you! Boy, I thought you were dead!" She reached out hugged him quickly. Dre returned the hug in an uncharacteristic show of affection. The woman stepped back to inspect him from head to toe.

Coy couldn't help herself. She sniffed the air. These people smelled strange. It wasn't difficult to distinguish the strongest scent. It was darker haired male. The other two males had less depth to their scents. None of them smelled as wolf as her family. The scent was there but overshadowed by the human smell.

"Hello, Laura. My pack was close and I didn't want to pass the opportunity to see you. Where's Heather?"

Laura's lips tightened at the question. "Gone. Good riddance. That girl was nothing but trouble. I hope you don't mean to reconnect with the likes of her."

Dre shook his head. "It was just an absent inquiry, Momma Laura." He smiled and reached out beside him. His fingers wrapped around Yar's. He drew her closer to his side. "Laura, this is Yara, Yar this is Laura Marks. My pack mother. She raised me."

Coy was confused. Dre had been a part of this strange pack? Why?

"Thank you for making him so strong, Mrs. Marks." Yar nodded slowly with respect.

"Call me Laura. And he was strong before I ever met him."

"How did you meet him?" Coy blurted out. She slapped her hand over her mouth. Her eyes darted to Dre's face.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled.

"Nonsense. Curiosity is in our nature. Come. I'll take you home and we can visit." Laura patted Dre on the arm and turned to the people who had accompanied her from the house. "If that is okay with you, Alpha." She nodded submissively to the alpha male.

"I would like a moment to speak privately with your adopted son first." The darkest haired one replied in an even tone. One of the other men lifted a brow.

"I'm sorry, alpha, my rudeness is appalling." She bowed her head. Coy noticed the action and thought they must not be as different as she had first thought.

"We can talk about that later, Tau Marks, there are extenuating circumstances." The alpha turned to Dre. "If you'll follow us."

Dre nodded and turned to his pack. "Stay with Laura. I won't be long."

Fear sliced through Coy as he stared to walk away. She knew he would not abandon them but she couldn't shake off the fear. "Dre!"

They all stopped and turned to her. "I'll be back, Coy. You are safe here. Karsun?" He nodded to Kar.

"Got it." Kar nodded. He moved closer and put a comforting hand on Coy's shoulder.

Moments later Dre was inside the house. Coy flinched when someone yelled down the road.

Kar put an arm around Coy's shoulder. He hugged her reassuringly.

"It's alright dear." Laura assured them. "While we wait would you like to hear how I met Dredan."