Part 13

John: Okay, Mary. Here's our room. I'll get you a bed, but Alex and I will sleep on the floor until then, so you can sleep on my bed, ok?

Mary: *hugs John* Thank you, John!

John: You're very welcome. *smiles at Mary, hugs her back*

Mary: Put me on the bed. *looks at John* Please.

John: Whatever you say. *sets her down on the bed*

Mary: *snuggles into the warm blanket* Mmm it's warm.

John: Mhm. Do you want me to wrap you up in the blanket and you can sit with Alex and me?

Mary: Yes!

John: Ok, here you go. *wraps the blanket around Mary, then another around himself* Alex and I are reading, do you want me to find you a book so he can read to you?

Mary: Yeah.

John: Alex, b— *ahem* Alex, can you get Mary a book, please?

Alex: *smirks* Sure. *gets up to grab a book*

John: *lays out a bunch of blankets and pillows on the ground* Now, it's comfy. *sits Mary down blanket-pillow-mattress thing, then sits down himself*

Alex: *comes back with a children's book* Lucky for you two, I have children's books. *sits down with Mary and John*

John: *extends the blanket around his shoulders to be around Alex too* You're getting warmth too.

Alex: *leans in, smiles* Okay.

Mary: Now we are all warm!

John: Yes, we are. *laughs* You can start reading now, b— Alex.

Alex: *smiles more, starts reading* "Not long ago and not far away there was a beautiful, big teddy bear who sat on a shelf in a drug store waiting for someone to buy him and give him a home. His name was Wolstencroft. And he was no ordinary bear. His fur was a lovely shade of light grey, and he had honey-colored ears, nose, and feet. His eyes were warm and kind and he had a wonderfully wise look on his face. Wolstencroft looked very smart in a brown plaid waistcoat with a gold satin bow tie at his neck. Attached to the tie was a tag with his name written in bold, black letters: Wolstencroft."

John: *kind of engulfed in the story, likes how Alex reads*

Alex: *points to the picture of the bear, whispers to Mary* Guess who that is?

Mary: *excitedly* Wolstencroft!!

Alex: Good job! *high fives Mary*

John: *watches the two with a big, happy smile on his face*

Alex: *keeps reading* "He had arrived in the store just before Christmas when there had been a lovely big tree in the window, all decorated with fairy lights. Yards and yards of sparkling tinsel had been draped over everything, and holiday music had been playing all the time. Wolstencroft was especially fond of Jingle Bells. He liked its light, tinkling sounds. It always made him feel merry. At that time there had been lots of other bears to keep him company. In fact, there had been so many teddy bears crowded onto that one narrow shelf that he had scarcely had room to move. But, one by one they had all gone. Gleefully waving goodbye as they were carried off to their new homes. Until finally, he was the only teddy bear left in the entire store. He had hoped that Santa Claus would drop by on Christmas Eve and deliver him to a good home. But he hadn't. Santa had been too busy that year, delivering even more presents than usual. Wolstencroft felt sad and lonely sitting there all by himself on the shelf that was high above the Christmas cards. He longed to have a child take him home and love him and play with him. But, most of all, to hug him. For no hug is ever too big for a teddy bear. He was trying hard not to cry because he knew that tears would make his eyes all puffy and red and then he would have even less chance of finding a home. But why oh why didn't someone choose him? Why, he wondered, was he passed over so many times for other less beautiful bears?"