Chapter 38

It was the day after Christmas and Haley came downstairs to find her whole family gathered together in the living room. Haley looked confused as everyone did their own thing the day after Christmas. She was supposed to be meeting Nathan for lunch.
"Good morning sleepyhead." Haley's mom said and everyone looked at Haley.
"Morning Mom. Whats this?" She replied as to why everyone is sitting in the living room.
"Your mom has something she has to tell you guys." Haley's dad added and Haley looked at her mom.
"Why don't you sit down." She said and Haley nodded. She took a seat on the seat next to her mom.
"What is it mom?" Quinn asked. Lydia sighed.
"I'm sick." She revealed without looking up. Everyone frowned.
"You're going to be ok right?" Haley asked worryingly.
"Um... no I'm not. I have pancreatic cancer." She admitted. Haley knew her mom was trying to be strong for the rest of her kids.
"But you are going to be fine?" Quinn asked
"Unfortunately the cancer has already spread and reached a serious stage where there is nothing the doctors can do."
"But then we'll get a second or a third opinion." Haley said.
"Haley I know this is hard but your mother went to see several doctors who've all said the same thing." Jimmy intervened.
"How long do you have?" Quinn asked.
"A couple months at best. The cancer spread too much to do any treatment as I left it untreated for too long." She replied
"So what, you're just going to give up?" Haley asked.
"I'm not giving up. I've come to terms with this and I am at peace with it." Haley's mom said calmly.
"Yeah, well I'm not going to sit here and count down the days until I have to say goodbye. I can't." Haley yelled as she exited the house with tears streaming down her face. She knew she was early but she decided to drive to Nathan's house. She could hardly drive with the blurry vision due to the tears pouring down. She finally took long deep breaths and headed to the door and rang the doorbell. Luckily Nathan answered the door. He could tell something was wrong and looked at her worryingly. He let her through the door and they were standing in the living room of his house.
"Hey what's wrong Hales?" He finally asked. Haley broke down in tears and hugged him tightly. He hated when she cried not because he had to comfort her but because he hated seeing her in pain and knowing that she was hurting. He put his chin on the top of her head.
"My mom, she told us she was dying." She sobbed.
He hugged her even tighter and wrapped his arms tight around Haley.
"How am I supposed to this?" She asked.
"Gracefully and courageously like you always do and if you can't I'll be here." He revealed.
"It's just not fair." Haley said her face still dug deep in his chest.
"I know." He replied quietly while caressing her beautiful blond hair. Haley forced a smile and they stood there in silence.
Haley got back later in the afternoon, she didn't know what to say to her mom. She didn't know what to think.
She entered her house and found her mom in the family room.
"Hey mom." Haley said as she hugged her mom.
"I think we need to talk." Lydia said and Haley nodded and took a seat on the couch next to her mom.
"How are you doing?" Lydia asked.
"I'm fine other than the fact I found out my mom is dying." Haley snapped.
"I'm sure you have a lot of questions. But I need you to listen to me first. Haley you are the strongest person I know and I need you to be strong for the people who can't."
"You say 'I have cancer' and my whole world changes. What am I supposed to with that?" Haley asked. She was just as confused as the rest of her family.
"You have to be strong that is the only way to get through this and be there for everyone through this difficult time."
"How can I be strong for something I'm not ready for. And why didn't you tell us before?" Haley asked.
"Haley, you are going to be fine you have Nathan and you have all your friends and your dad is still here. I didn't tell you guys because I didn't want to worry anyone. I know I should've told you. But you've been through so much that I didn't want you to worry about another thing." Lydia replied.
"But you can't just be gone Mom. When I need advice I talk to you. When I get married I need you to be here or what about my college graduation? You can't just be gone mom. What about Jane and Taylor?" Haley revealed.
"You are going to be fine and I have to be at peace with it. I don't have a choice. Y'know I'd rather be here and take care and love my kids but I have to accept that this is my fate cause if not then it'll scare everyone even more. Remember we have to be strong for the people who can't be." Lydia replied
The whole family spent the evening together. Haley laid her head on her moms lap like she used to do as a kid as her mom caressed her head
-
I'm trying to post as often as I can but I don't have a lot of inspiration right now. Anyway hope you guys are enjoying it.