Chapter 39

A few weeks later Brooke,Nathan,Peyton and Lucas we're sitting at their usual lunch table.
"So how is Haley doing?" Brooke asked. They were all worried about Haley as she wasn't her usual upbeat self since she found out about her mom.
" Not great. She's been spending most of her time with her mom and doesn't really want to talk about how she is feeling at least not with me. She's just a lot more closed off." Nathan replied. He was worried about her as they didn't spend as much time together as they normally did.
"That's Haley for you. Anything she has to deal with she's either in denial or wants to deal with it by herself. Just make sure she knows you're there for her. I mean we all are." Lucas said and Nathan nodded.
"It's just so sad with everything she has been through. She deserves to be happy." Peyton added, everyone agreed and Haley came towards them in confusion as to why they stopped talking.
"Hey what is everyone talking about?" She asked and everyone looked down. She knew they were talking about her. The whole school was. She didn't know how it would be like when her mom actually dies.
"You guys were talking about me?" She asked and some people agreed while others didn't.
"Guys I'm fine. My mom is healthy well healthy as she can be and hopefully she'll have a long time to live and maybe go into remission." She insisted. She wasn't trying to convince anyone more than herself.
"Haley..." Nathan started to say as he rubbed her back but Haley cut him off and shoved him off.
"DONT! I need to believe in something because if I don't I wouldn't be able to breathe." Haley cautioned. No one said anything and everyone just looked down. She stood up and took her tray.
"You know I have an AP test I need to study for. So I'll be in the library." She added and left. They all watched her leave worryingly.
-
Haley got a few extra shifts at the cafe to help her mom as she wasn't working right now. She got home a bit later than usual. She saw Nathan sitting on the sofa. They all studied her as she walked through the door. Nathan came up to give her a hug but Haley didn't really give in.
"Hey what are you doing here?" She asked.
"I invited him for dinner." Her mother replied. Nathan smiled at Haley as Haley forced a smile to everyone.
"Well I'm going to go change and I'll be down in a bit." She replied and walked up the stairs to her room. She changed into sweatpants and a red T-shirt. And came back downstairs to find everyone sitting at the dinner table.
Haley sat down next to Nathan who kissed her on the cheek as soon as she sat down. Haley once again forced a smile on face.
"What did you make?" Haley asked.
"Chicken dumpling soup." Her mother replied as she served Nathan's dish.
"You could've let me help." Haley said.
"You were at school and then at work but next time you can definitely help." Lydia replied
"So Nathan how is basketball?" Jimmy asked.
"It's great, We are undefeated so far so I'm feeling pretty confident that this will win the state championship."
"That's great, Now I know you used to throw the big parties and I know Haley has stayed over a couple times but I just want to make sure you guys are being safe?" Jimmy asked and Haley cringed in embarrassment.
"Dad!" She scolded while Nathan laughed but Haley glared at him and shoved him and he stopped laughing.
"Ok, ok just making sure. Cause we don't need no bun in the oven." He said and Haley shook her head in disappointment.
"I am so sorry Nathan. Ok moving on dad. How have you been mom." Haley said.
"I'm fine. Honey. Don't worry about me." She replied.
"You're not fine mom. You're dying and if you want to sit here and be at peace with it or whatever fine. But the truth is I am not ready to lose you okay. I can't." She said and got up and headed upstairs. Nathan followed her upstairs to her room and found her sitting on her bed with tears streaming down her face.
"She's acting like there's nothing wrong and that she's fine. And I know that this may be the last time I have dinner with her. It just hurts." Haley expressed as she whipped her tears away. Nathan sat down next to her and started rubbing her back.
"She's just trying to be strong." Nathan said.
"Nathan I'm so scared. And I'm just not ready for this." Haley said bursting into tears as she collapsed in his arms.
"I know." He whispered.
"Everything is going to fall apart when she is gone." Haley sobbed. Nathan wished there was something he could do or say but he knew just being there was the best thing he could do.
Haley was finally able to calm down.
"I'm going to go rinse off and I'll be down in a second." She said and he nodded as he went back downstairs.
"She's coming down soon." He stated and everyone nodded.
"Nathan can I talk to you." Lydia asked and he nodded. They went to the living room and sat down.
"I know Haley is struggling a bit with this news. I know she'll be fine without me. She has always been such an independent girl. But I just want and hope you'll  be there for her when I die cause I don't have long to live." She stated.
"You are responsible for raising the woman who changed my entire world. I'll never forget that Lydia. Of course I'll be there for Haley. Even if you hadn't asked I would be there for her. I want you to know that I love your daughter so much." Nathan replied.
"I know you do Nathan. That's why I trust you with my daughter and I trust that you'll protect and be there for my daughter. My daughter is lucky to have found such an amazing man." She complimented. They found Haley at the bottom of the stairs.
"Finally, is everyone ready for desert?" Lydia asked and everyone nodded.
We all finished desert and Haley didn't say much.  Haley walked Nathan out.
"Thank you for coming. It meant a lot to me that you were there for me." Haley smiled at him as she cupped his face.
"Of course, you know I'll always be there for you and I'll always protect you." Nathan replied as he gently placed his lips on hers. She then leaned in to hug him. 
-
Happy Easter hope y'all are enjoying the story.