Chapter 5: Drowning (Percy's POV)

I sat at the dock, my feet dipped in the soft waves that lap against my ankles. I wish I felt as centered here as I should be, but I'm not. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Dad... What should I do?" I ask softly. "I care for Nico. More than I should since I have Annabeth. I'm leaving soon enough, I shouldn't want to be with him, hold him like I do Annabeth. You've got to help me Dad-"
"Percy!" I whip around and fall into the water.
"Piper, don't do that!" I yell, pulling myself back onto the dock.
"Sorry, sorry," she laughed. "I just... wanted to let you know that Nico left for Camp Jupiter!"
"Did you tell Chiron?"
"Yes... he said you would probably be the best person to send. With Annabeth since you're going to leave for there in a couple weeks anyway," Piper says. "Talk to him... okay?"
"Sure." I dry myself off and brush past Piper.

When I get to the Big House, Chiron is already in centaur form and looking troubled. He has his arms folded, but loosens up when he sees me.
"Oh, Percy, I'm glad you've come," he says.
"I'll get Nico... if it's needed," I sigh. "I don't want that kid to get in anymore trouble."
"Neither do I... children of Hades always have such a terrible power," Chiron muttered.
"What?"
"Nothing, Percy," he smiles. "Nico should tell you himself."
"Alright.." I'm worried. I don't want to think about what could be wrong with Nico. I don't want to kick myself even more for the time we should have spent together. I hate these feelings. I'm drowning in worry and hate and...something like love. A son of Poseidon is drowning.

I sling my backpack over my shoulder and climb up onto Blackjack.
Boss! Going home already?
"Yeah... sorry big guy," I smile.
No problem. Is Annie coming?
"Yeah... give her a minute. Piper might be coming too, but on a different horse," I say. Blackjack stamps his hooves once or twice.
We're leaving because of the death boy... aren't we?
"What are you talking about?" I ask.
He came to visit that bony pony that just flew in a couple days ago. You know.
"I don't... actually."
Oh well he gave him an apple and a message that poor pony probably barely understood in the Pizza language

"You mean Italian?"
That's it!

I look Blackjack up and down and just smile.
"Did he say something funny?" Annabeth asks. She comes over and gives me a kiss on my cheek and wraps her arms around my waist. It's familiar, it's...natural, but I'm not going to lie and say I don't slightly wish it was Nico...

"Oh... I guess," I laugh. "He called Italian 'the pizza language'."
"Fitting," Annabeth chuckles. I can't help but laugh with her too, I'm sure Nico's reaction to his mother tongue being called the "pizza language" would be cute a Hades. Not to say that Hades is particularly cute. Piper sticks her head in and then walks towards us.
"Ready?" she asks. Annabeth nods and they both climb onto some horses. I guess I'm riding alone, which is good enough for me.

Annabeth's Pegasus flies next to mine. He and Blackjack converse, but I don't pay too close attention. I'm mostly worried about Nico, how is he? Will seemed worried about Nico when the last Great Prophecy and the battle ended. He claimed he shouldn't Shadow Travel for a while... granted, it's been a while, but it's a matter of principle. You can't just get away with hauling the Athena Parthos this far and then start shadow traveling too soon. Gods, I sound like my mother.
Boss, can we get lunch?
"Sure," I say absent mindedly. "What would you like?"
Doughnuts, obviously.
"That's not lunch," I snap back into the present.
Yeah, but-
"Come on, we'll stop at-"
"There's a McDonalds down there," Annabeth says. "We should ask if they've seen Nico, and we can get lunch!"
"Good thinking,"  Piper smiles.
I like their apple pies.