Part 43: Demetris

Demetris:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Upon hearing the details of the tragedy, Demetris placed his hand upon his brother's shoulder. Despite their differences, he knew that Tom needed him in that moment. "Oh Tom, I am so very sorry." He did not cry like his brother, but he did feel his heart break at the thought of Rachel's precarious situation. Why good people seemed to suffer the most always baffled him--it wasn't fair. Demetris remained silent when his brother did not respond; his presence was enough for his brother, so no more words needed to be said. He did not even move until a nurse came in, startling him.

"Sorry to disturb you, but visiting hours are over for today. Only Tom is allowed to stay since he is her husband. " The nurse said with a sympathetic gaze.

"I didn't realize it had gotten so late. I will get ready to leave right now."

With a small smile, the nurse nodded and left the room to allow the men to say their goodbyes. "I can come back to visit tomorrow if you want," Demetris said quietly. To him Rachel appeared to be sleeping and he somehow believed subconsciously that talking to loud might wake her.

"I don't mind at all." Tom replied with little enthusiasm in his voice.

Demetris placed his hand back on his brother's shoulder for his formal goodbye and then left the small room for the busy hallway.