Part 41- Demetris

Demetris

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The sight of Rachel pained Demetris. She was a middle-aged, petite woman with orange stringy hair that fell to her shoulders. She was laying on a hospital bed hooked up to several machines and her pale skin was dotted with brown and blue bruises and red cut trails. Her eyes were closed allowing her soft green eyes to rest.

"Demetris, you made it!" Tom stood up from his chair to embrace his younger brother. The two have never been really close, but they were family and still cared for one another.

"I told you I was coming." Demetris managed to say as his brother squeezed him tightly. When the embrace ended, he paced over to the bed to look at Rachel. Meeting her only on a few occasions, he knew little about her, but he did know that she was one of the nicest people he had the pleasure to meet. She was always helpful, polite, sensitive, and curious. Very curious. In fact, she was a lot like Demetris in that regard, except that she did not chase after fanciful ideas, or, at least until Demetris met her.

He recalled a memory from his past when he had spent Thanksgiving with Rachel and Tom. It was three years ago, yet he could still remember the event vividly. The smell of the turkey, the clatter of plates, and the warmth radiating around the small apartment building all came back to him with such intensity that he had to steady himself.

That night, he had gotten into a fight with Tom about fairies. That night he had stormed out into the cold Autumn air, cursing his brother's name. Ever since then, Tom rarely called him, and when he did, it was only a quick check-up to see what his brother was up to and how he was doing. Demetris did not hate his brother--not really--but the man angered him at times.

Regardless, Tom had a beautiful and sensitive wife. Before the fight, she had listened intently to his tale about fairies, never giving him a look of judgement. She commented afterward, stating that it was all very fascinating and even asked where he had learned about fairies. Tom did not like that. He loved his wife, but he did not want her to become caught up in fairy-madness as well. He calmly asked to dismiss the topic, but Demetris refused.

Rachel had tried to calm the men down when they began to raise their voices, but to no avail. Demetris ended up slamming his cup down on the table and left without saying goodbye. He could not stand listening to his brother's lectures and needed some fresh air to collect himself. Snowflakes fell lightly from the sky of New New York as he made his way back to his apartment.

Demetris shook his head as the memory faded. His brother was sitting in his chair again holding his wife's hand, saying nothing. Feeling awkward, Demetris crossed his arms and leaned against the cold wall. In a low voice he asked, "What happened to Rachel?"