Part 22: Demetris

Demetris

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Demetris did not have a very good dream that night at all. There was fire. A lot of fire. And trees. It was very bizarre, but it felt so vivid. It felt as if it was really happening right before his eyes. He was awake and was sitting at the small table eating a pastry he picked up at the continental breakfast that was surprisingly served at the meager motel. It was supposed to be apple, but it tasted bland, the flaky skin around the cold filling falling on his pants. His thoughts meandered to his dream he had. There was one tree among the many that flashed before him that stood out. It was extremely tall and had an ancient thick trunk with snarling roots at the bottom. Halfway up the tree, there as a large hole with many small glowing lights inside it. It looked as though a swarm of lightning bugs had invaded an owl's home. Though, he knew that was not the case, they were fairies.

He then remembered how the dream shifted to reveal fire engulfing the mighty forest, yet none of the trees were harmed. It was a miraculous sight indeed. He did not know what it meant, but he knew that it was not something he should disregard. He finished his breakfast and grabbed his laptop. He then took out his camera and connected to the computer using a special cord. When the pictures were done uploading, he logged on the internet and began to search for clues. He looked at various sites that contained information about how trees were cut down, but nothing explained what he had saw the other day. It was strange and the more he lingered on the subject, the more he began to believe that maybe it was magic. Maybe a fairy had cut it down?

No. He shook his head, revolted with the thought. It had to be humans. Fairies loved nature and never wanted to harm it, so it was preposterous to think that it was a fairies handiwork. It could have been that the tree was an exception of some kind. That had to be it. Still, he found that he could not entirely rule out that magic felled the tree as it stuck to the back of his mind throughout the rest of the day.